HELP! Steering wont turn, where should i check/lube?

bawla47

Cadet
Hi, new to the forums.

I let my boat sit a little over a year, and after that time, i cant seem to move the steering wheel at all and i dont want to force it.

its a 1979 grady white.

i have a mercruiser 470 motor with an alpha 1 drive(i think atleast.)
inboard.

theres a large steering link that goes to the back of the engine, i sprayed wd 40 on the nuts etc. where else should i lube/need to lube? i know the wd 40 wont cut it but just was hoping itd loosen things up back there.

any help is apreciated! thanks in advance

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: HELP! Steering wont turn, where should i check/lube?

unhook the steering cable from the drive and see which will turn. then go from there.
Anything from the wheel to the gimble can be the cause. even the u-joint int the drive if frozen wont let it steer.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

more than likely it`s a tube issue . loosen and then tap this nut to loosen the steering tube assembly, remove nut, remove cable and tube assembly, apply heat and some type of penetrating oil till free, clean tube with a 12Ga. wire shotgun brush.reassemble and GREASE ONCE A MONTH to prevent this issue again.
boat.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Chances are good the steering cable has frozen / corroded in the aluminum tube at the transom. I have found heat to be about the only thing that works. The problem with spray (and PB Blaster or Kroll is better than WD40) is that it doesn't get down into the area where it is needed.

EDIT: Looks like BT Doctur bear me to it. ;)

bawla47

Cadet

heres what mine looks like, if you could guide me because it looks really diferent from yours Bt.

IMG_9001.jpg

start of cable----

IMG_9067.jpg

theres an arm to the top of the cable, that attaches to the Steering cable by a rod shown in the next pic.

IMG_9068.jpg

and here is where the cable starts, at the steering wheel. theres 1 center bolt of the housing that has a little greese coming out of it.

IMG_9073.jpg

thanks for the help so far, im still working out other bugs of the boat, so no big rush, but would like to definatelyt get the procedure down so i can do it in the next week or so

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Thats an oldie, you have to unthread the nut all the way off and slide the tube and steering cable out as a unit. This link might help see it better.The later ones used the square block and pivot bolts, this is omotted on yours.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/97/97hs5.pdf

bawla47

Cadet

hi bt, me again :)

IMG_9060.jpg

just want to clarify. i remove that nut circled in red,as well as the nut on the very end on the right(that connects the steering cable toa tie rod linkage), heat the tube that has threads and pull real hard to the left and it should come free? the gray lines are what im assuming is the cable on the inside of the threaded larger tube?
thanks for the quick response before :)

and sorry for being a pain in the butt :)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

unthread this nut all the way off and the steering cable and the tube can be removed to a safe place to apply heat and oil.
steeringtube.jpg

You may have to cut that nut off the tube if necessary

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You may have to cut that nut off the tube if necessary

Actually, that would be the only way to remove the complete assembly. The threads don't go all the way out for that nut to be completely removed.

Normally you would unscrew the nut that the original poster circled and then the steering cable would come out, (after removing the nut at the very end of course).

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

My boat sat for 2 years, steering wheel would move at all, sprayed every spot that looked like the cable went through or anything that moved, jumped out of the boat and gave the out drive a good push then it stated moving freely, greased up the zerk fittings and it was all set.

bawla47

Cadet

Just an update!

Was able to get it free after disconnecting steering arm from the steering cable, applying heat to the tube and sledge hammering the end of the cable(prob not the best thing i could have done, but its free!

Thanks for the help, the tube corroding inside was the problem like you guys said.