steering

jant

Recruit
new boat owner need help I have a 1973 johnson 65 horse it has a kiekhaefer mecury rotary ride guide #54131 steering box need to replace with new box and cable cant find one any one know about one or can I replace it with a different system?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering

You can use any of the Teleflex or U-Flex systems. Rotary or rack (space permitting), standard or no-feedback or even a hydraulic system.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Mercury dealers can't help you?? Oh well.

Anyhow, you can replace the whole system with a Teleflex, rack & pinion system would be the closest to what you have, but rotary systems will work too, depending on available space. Understand it is not a direct replacement, drilling and cutting may be required. In fact, if I remember correctly, even the steering wheel will need to be replaced.

Teleflex sold here at iboats!!!

jant

Recruit

thank you both any other info will be appreciated.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The only place you'll find a Ride Guide box is an old time Merc dealer. I found one at a Merc dealer ten to 12 years ago ... they had an attic full of old steering stuff. Otherwise, as pointed out, it's got to be an entire new system.

jant

Recruit

thanks again, another question the throttle control has ignition,choke,warm up no trim I think it is a 73 also it says johnson what control could I replace it with?