bottom paint or automotive for bottom

opalized

Seaman Apprentice
OK guys, i bought a new (actually old 1975) boat, someone had repainted over the factory brown metalflake gelcoat, it was scratched and pretty ugly, so i went to work yesterday scraped 99% of the top down to just below the water line back to gelcoat.
Now the question is can i go to the local paint store and pick-up some PPG base coat clear coat paint and simple repaint the whole boat. Will be sanded first with 220 and a compatable primer coat applied and sanded.
The boat is a trailered boat in the water no more than a week at a time.
What ya think

Sincerely
Dave

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: bottom paint or automotive for bottom

Now the question is can i go to the local paint store and pick-up some PPG base coat clear coat paint and simple repaint the whole boat. Will be sanded first with 220 and a compatable primer coat applied and sanded.

Ayuh,... You should have posted this in the same forum you posted in before...
This is the Motors- I/O forum....

You can paint it with ANY paint you want....
That $150. a gallon PPG will do the same job as the $30. a gallon Rustoleum, as noted in the thread you hi-jacked in before...

opalized

Seaman Apprentice

Problem is bondo, i know nothing of those paints, i want to return the boat to original brown metalflake, and i cant seem to find the combination of base coat clear coat in those paints on the forum I "HI-Jacked" as you put it, where i got no answer to my question simply improper forum guidance if you will.
So which brand or model of paint do i use to return this boat to original brown metalflake any guidance in this matter greatly appreciated. I am all for saving money, on in this mess $600 so far would like to get it recarpeted, reupolstered, and painted for about $ 500.00 more
Sincerely
Dave

Bondo

Staff member

So which brand or model of paint do i use to return this boat to original brown metalflake
I am all for saving money, on in this mess $600 so far would like to get it recarpeted, reupolstered, and painted for about $ 500.00 more

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Dave,...
Unfortunately,... No way in 'ell your Plan is going to Happen....

The reupholstery alone will run Over your budget....

Brown Metalflake Gelcoat can be Painted with candyapple brown metalflake Paint,...
But,... It'll run Well over your $500. budget,+ Not look near as Good as the original...

Honetly,... You need a 10Xs bigger budget, or Much lower expectations....

Just accepting a solid color paint job would be a Great start....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I used a DuPont automotive paint on mine....the red was $150 a quart, and it took 3 quarts, plus a clear coat. It looks awesome, but you are looking at $1500 in paint. The automotive paints also aren't designed to be in the water for long periods, so it should be for trailered boats only. My thoughts, a lot of other people on here are anti-flouling paint only. Nice looking boat, I hope you keep moving forward on her.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gelcoat itself is actually pretty cheap in comparison materials wise. A bit more work it seems but cheaper. From what I've read it doesnt even sound like its that hard to apply. I have not done it yet, but what ive read says 2 coats of gel, unwaxed. Followed by one coat with wax added so it will cure completely. Maybe a clear gelcoat would work well for you?

I have not researched the plan I have in my head yet, but for my boat I was hoping to get some automotive metal flake paint, paint the boat and then apply a clear gel over it. Then spend 6 months sanding the gel smooth! I'm only doing the top cap so maybe it wont be too bad.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Gelcoat itself is actually pretty cheap in comparison materials wise. A bit more work it seems but cheaper. From what I've read it doesnt even sound like its that hard to apply. I have not done it yet, but what ive read says 2 coats of gel, unwaxed. Followed by one coat with wax added so it will cure completely. Maybe a clear gelcoat would work well for you?

I have not researched the plan I have in my head yet, but for my boat I was hoping to get some automotive metal flake paint, paint the boat and then apply a clear gel over it. Then spend 6 months sanding the gel smooth! I'm only doing the top cap so maybe it wont be too bad.

You might want to look at skibums thread first....lot of sanding!

opalized

Seaman Apprentice

Bond-o
I just completed a complete reupolster of a Bayliner 20.5 Cuddy Cab Santiago, under the bow 6 very large cushions, then all the seats 4 total, now i did it all myself, and it wasnt like a true professional job but it was well under 500.00, and far more area to be covered pic attached.

I had figured a $125.00 for carpet for the current boat
$100.00 for the upolstery
$200.00 for paint
and a $100.00 to cover all the stuff i always miss, and im sure ill be shelling out a couple hundred more before its done, new prop, running lights front and rear etc etc.

I have looked at the marine paints as you instructed and have an email out to
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com, seems they have some nice paints should be in my budget as you said.

The boat was in poor condition, i dont expect it to be brand new, just confortable when it comes time to drop in the lake

I'm going to pickup a 1974 Cobalt this weekend 18' i beleive $500.00 base price, need hydraulic work on outdrive wont go up, shouldnt have to do much else but the norm tuneup, wet sand and buff, and it will be ready for fishing season.

Attachments

• AFTER2.JPG.JPG
    AFTER2.JPG.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • baylinerfront.jpg
    baylinerfront.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats, nice little runabout you have there. You'll have fun with it when you get done.....tink

opalized

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Tink

I am probably just gonna fix and flip the little 17'er, as i did witht he bayliner, when i got it, it had been sunk to the point it blew the cabin window out, the seats where rotten 75% gone the motor was full of water with alittle oil floating on the top. I spent 2 months solid, sewing the upolstery, replacing hte motor with a used one out of hte paper buffing and polishing the hull etc.
I didnt make a dime, but i didnt loose much either, so all in all worked outok. The little 17' i could actually make $5.00 bucks ont hat one if everything goes as planned, the paint thing could be my downfall cant seem to come to terms with re gelcoat, or simply spray right over the top of the gelcoat. Marine or automotive paint. I have metalflake coming already received my carb kit for the motor, and have samples coming for the upolstery, carpet shipped yesterday adn im still not sure what color it will be LMAO
Gelcoating sounds like huge work, and my backs not what it was 40 yeears ago. But i hate to pay the price for automotive paint, has anyone used the $50.00 a gall on marine paints, and been beyond happy, im looking for a base coat clear coat so i can put some sparkles in the first couple coats of clear over bright yellow base????

opalized

Seaman Apprentice

MOgfisher
The metal flake goes right in the gel coat spray it on and sand and buff you're done, cost like 12 bucks a bottle probably be enough to do you job unless its a 60 ft yaht