Ahahaahahahahahragarg explative!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I've been working on this motor for like 2 months heavy, cannot figure it out. It's a mid-60's Merc 950ss with a thunderbolt ignition. It is loud and rediculously powerfull in neutral, but in the water in gear it won't move my boat passed 8mph on the gps. I've rebuilt the carbs, the fuel pumps, put in new plugs. She starts up as good as any old merc cold. In neutral she sounds great but in gear she has nothing. Here is whats going on.

Idle's low and cuts off after I've run it a few minutes when I stop, but then starts right back up again with out having to pump bulb.

When I'm moving I can hear little changes in the way she sounds but the speed doesn't change. Like rpms raise up just a hair and then go back down.

It's not even getting on plane, it's plowing through the water like I said at like 8mph.

In neutral the throttle is responsive and motor sounds GREAT. Any idea what I can do, I know the motor will run.

The boat I'm running it on is a mid 80's STRATOS 189v the boat is rated for a 200hp.

Some one help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ahahaahahahahahragarg explative!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you done a compression test? Jest a thought some alot of old mercurys base gasket are being eaten away by the e85 in the gas. Compression in the lower case is jest as importaint and top end compression.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe it's a trolling motor?? j/k good luck with it.

Mi duckdown

Commander

A Compression check should be the First thing to check.
Buy a ORIGINAL MERCURY manual for that MOTOR.
The Merc Manual for that Motor is very Comprehensive.
Reed valves?

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do the compression tests show ? this will answer alot of questions

Thanks fellas, I'll have to get that done right away. Please keep your eyes open for more questions. lol

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe this is a n00b response, but any chance the prop has a hub that is spun? Was a problem with my rig last year.

earringboy

Seaman

I too suffered from a spun hub. With the engine off and the spark plug wires removed, just to make sure that it won't strat by accident, put the motor in gear and see if you can rotate the prop. If you can and the motor is not turning as well, bingo time for a new hub. Had mine rehubbed for 50 bucks 2 years ago.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I will assume the motor doesn't rev up in gear? If it doesn't rev up, the prop hub is good. The symptom you describe could be that the prop has too much pitch for the power of the motor and weight of the boat. After all you are using a 90 HP motor on a boat with a 200HP max.

zbnutcase

Commander

Most likely worn reed blocks allowing internal crankcase compression leaks-see it all the time on inline Mercs