3 ring v 2 ring Chrysler Pistons

lagerosk

Seaman Apprentice
I am rebuilding my Chrysler 105 and have replaced one piston. I've had a new sleeve fitted to number 3 and have had to fit one 10 thou oversized new piston on the new sleeve. The new piston supplied only has 2 rings, the old pistons have 3. The new piston came with rings, so I bought 3 piston ring sets and have received 6 identical rings (top and bottom ring are the same on the all pistons). Should I only fit 2 rings to each of the old pistons and leave the bottom land empty? or should I fit one of the old rings to each bottom land on the old pistons so at least they have 3 rings each? Any help greatly appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 ring v 2 ring Chrysler Pistons

The three ring pistons USUALLY have thicker rings--the two ring sets will not fit them. Use the old rings. If by some chance the new rings do fit, use them on the top two positions and use an old one on the bottom.

Using only two rings on a three ring piston is something I have wanted to try but not yet gotten around to it.

Someday I also intend to try a single ring in a two ring piston. I did have a 125 that shattered the bottom ring in one piston and the engine did not even notice--performance was not affected,

SO; If you are the type to think outside the box, give it a try. Then report back here so others can learn.

lagerosk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3 ring v 2 ring Chrysler Pistons

Hi Guys,
I'm gonna think outside the square here - The piston ring thickness on old and new are identical so I'm only fitting 2 new rings per piston. This will keep the frictional drag of each cylinder the same. I've spoken to the engine reconditioner who fitted the sleeve (probably the most respected reconditioner in Auckland) and some other 2-stroke savvy colleagues and they all agree that leaving 1 groove empty will not cause any issues.
Hey, I might have to eat my words in 6 months time, will have to wait and see...
Too late now - pistons, crank and all bearings installed tonight, everything went together perfectly!