Apparently it wasn't the powerpack

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've put a new powerpack on my 97 115 go trying to fix the problem of cylinders dropping after the engine gets warmed up. Didn't work. So I'm thinking new coils next? When we took the powerpack off I noticed the coils had some indentions and hairline tiny cracks on the bottom. There were also scorch marks on the grounding panel between the coils and the powerpack where I guess the coils had heated up. Also noticed that the new Powerpack came with a protective layer to prevent that. Anyone wanna talk me out of buying two new coils?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Apparently it wasn't the powerpack

Always replace cracked coil, no talking you out of "that one".

jonesg

Admiral

I've put a new powerpack on my 97 115 go trying to fix the problem of cylinders dropping after the engine gets warmed up. Didn't work. So I'm thinking new coils next? When we took the powerpack off I noticed the coils had some indentions and hairline tiny cracks on the bottom. There were also scorch marks on the grounding panel between the coils and the powerpack where I guess the coils had heated up. Also noticed that the new Powerpack came with a protective layer to prevent that. Anyone wanna talk me out of buying two new coils?

The reason for examing coils is to look out for cracks, it might be another problem also but the coils are shot anyway.

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could the coils be causing this problem? It has gotten progressively worse within the past few trips. I think it has to do with something that is heating up and failing because if never does it until the engine is warmed up. It's peeing fine so I know it's not overheating.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Yes a coil could be heating up and failing. If you know whicj cylinder is failing you can swap coils and see if the problem follows.