Older V4's size, HP, thrust, power vs' New smaller outboards

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok.....so we have a 1966 Evinrude 60HP Sportfour. Now if your familiar with the size of this motor it's amazing to me that its only rated at 60hp. We look at the mid 80's and early 90's and the size compares to 125hp.

I'm wondering if my giant 60hp is more like a 100hp just due to being a V4???

I had an old 1970 Pontiac that had 350hp....MONSTER. Now adays 350hp is unheard of....

Kinda get where I'm going?

My compression on all cyl was 90psi.....seems low to me. If I shave the heads a tiny bit to bump up compression I wonder if it will push more?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Older V4's size, HP, thrust, power vs' New smaller outboards

if you have even compression that is actually more important than anything.90 is not really that bad for a 60,s or 50,s outboard.no your 60 is only 60 hp no more no less and it actually is less than a modern 60 as today they measure hp at the prop.they sure do look big though dont they?now go put it beside a new 75 4 poke merc and it will actually look quite small!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

kryan, you have to realize the ancestory of your motor to appreciate it. In 1958, OMC introduced the first V4 outboards, a revolutionary new design, possible only by new casting techniques. It developed 50 horsepower and Mercury instantly dubbed it the "Fat Fifty" as a slam, comparing it to their tall and skinny six cylinder 60hp motors. In retaliation, the Merc was dubbed the "Skyscraper Six", and later the "Dockbuster" because they were so great at crashing into the dock (no reverse gear, they stopped running for neutral and restarted actually running backwards for reverse---if you were lucky). The Merc was faster in some cases, but the Evinrude/Johnsons would make it look silly when it came to pushing a big boat or pulling a flock of skiers. And the 50 was the world record holder for gas consumption, the first thing people think of today when the subject comes up.

Anyhoo, in 1960, the bore size of the Fat Fifty was increased and it made 75hp. It also got a pointy lower unit, replacing the football shaped 50hp gearcase. The same year, the Gale division got a motor with the new skinny gearcase, but with the 50hp bore size. It made 60hp. The Gale 60 would perform right up there similar to the 75, maybe a mile or two slower, but on less gas.

Forward a few years and Johnson and Evinrude also got the Gale 60, rebadged with their name on it. It sold alongside their 75hp, but at a lower price. That is the motor you have. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the 75, like Electric Shift, alternator, or electric choke......and that's a blessing. As years went by, the horsepower was increased to 80, 85, 90, 100 by various methods, but still the basic V4 that was born in 1958.

In 1968, the horsepower race was on and the trusty V4 was totally redesigned, and power and speed soared, and fuel consumption went down, and external size actually got smaller. The rest is history, and the V4 is still being made. Vastly different, of course.

http://www.old-omc.de/e_1969/seite_04_05.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Kryan, In addition to what the other said, if your motor is larger displacement than a modern 60HP motor, you might find it has a bit greater torque. Torque in a boat motor is good for pushing heavy loads, especially at slow speeds.