Cheap epoxy or poly resin?

dabull22

Seaman
I have to replace a panel of a wood floor on my dinghy that is roughly 2x4 feet. Where can I buy some epoxy or poly resin cheap to get this job done? Does home depot or lowes carry this kind of thing or do I need to order online?
Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Cheap epoxy or poly resin?

no such thing as cheap epoxy but polyester resin is cheap.....Home depot usually has quart cans try an auto parts store

dabull22

Seaman

will poly resin do the job?...im not looking to put money into a dinghy that is not worth much

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes poly resin will do fine. Prep the area to be worked on well by sanding and roughing up the old fiberglass and then cleaning well with acetone, then lay your new glass as needed and wet out completely.

Good luck!
RC

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can buy Bondo brand Poly resin at WalMart for around $11-12 a quart. Most auto parts store also carry poly resin as well. They will be able to get you a gallon if you need that much. Do as was suggested and you will be fine.

dabull22

Seaman

None of the other pieces have fiberglass mats on them but are coated with something. Do I really need to put a fiberglass mat on this piece of plywood? or can I just put the poly resin?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

For coating it with no glass you need to use epoxy.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Use poly resin and a layer of CSM and you will not regret it.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chopped Strand Mat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If the rest of the wood has a clear and somewhat thick layer of resin without glass covering it, it will be epoxy. Polyester won't stick to epoxy very well, nor will it hold up without glass, so what you have is most likely epoxy. If its a very thin layer it may be some other type of coating.