2000 Four Winns has cracks in upper hull

boatless4now

Cadet
I was looking into purchasing a 2000 Four Winns 180 but was very supprised when I went to see it today. When looking at the right side (starboard) I noticed tiny cracks in the fiberglass that appeared where the gas filler, rear light plug, and up front along the windshield. They are vertical and go from the top to about the bumper. The cracks a very small and until I saw it in person I did not, and still cannot, see them in the pictures. Does anyone have any idea of what could have caused this to occur? Was it the cold this past year (MN/WI got really cold this past year), is it a result of stress, Does it indicate that the boat was stored outside all winter, or did the manufacture install the accessaries imporperly. I have never seen this before and since I am looking for a newer boat right now I want to find out what the issue might be with these cracks. I definately don't want to look at a specific manufacture or year that had fabrication issues. THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2000 Four Winns has cracks in upper hull

Ayuh,... Stress cracking, hairline, spiderweb cracking,... It's rather normal for older boats...

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

It is likely the "cracks" are not a structural concern. They probably only go through the gel coat.

It isn't uncommon to see cracks like this on boats. They can be caused by a lot os things....owner neglect, poorly installed fittings or just poor workmanship in general.

In this case, knowing that Four Winns are pretty good boats, I would say that they were caused by the owner. It could happen when the let the boat slam into a dock or something similar.

Freezing/thawing shouldn't cause fiberglass crack.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

In this case, knowing that Four Winns are pretty good boats, I would say that they were caused by the owner. It could happen when the let the boat slam into a dock or something similar.
Possible but not likely.

I have a feeling they started at where a hole was drilled in the fiberglass and a screw was installed. When I was putting some snaps in I was fairly diligent about using a countersink to smooth out the edge of the holes I drilled but even with that, I got the little cracks in the gel coat that spread from the hole.