lubizol in oil = best oil, no carbon buildup?

pugerz

Seaman
Local oldtimer force mercury mechanic recommended no oil be used in my 86 85 hp Force motor but that which had Lubrizol in oil. Mercury oil or Johnson oils only. I said I was using Pennzoil and he did not like that at all. Crap oil he calls it and any other brand. He went on to describe and draw a picture of the rings around a cylinder and the way carbon builds and how it destroys the motor over time if not gotten rid of and rebuild is necessary. He said the lubrizol in the mecury and johnson oils does not produce the carbon buildup as the cheaper no name brands and name brands oils out there. He strongly recommended those two oils only be used in the motor. I am still using the pennzoil and will till i am done with what i bought. But it makes me wonder. The mechanic has been working on mercury motors dating back to the late
50s. He sounded pretty convincing with his arguments. Any comments?

john from md

Commander
Re: lubizol in oil = best oil, no carbon buildup?

What he said is possible as manufacturers add different additives to their products such as oil and gasoline. The basic product meets the SAE spec and then they put their special formula in it. A friend who did oil research for the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia said his studies showed differences in engine wear but not enough to make up for the price of the high dollar oil.

The question is, how much are you willing to pay?

I have always used the cheapest oil I could buy as long as it met the required SAE spec. I am hard on a two stoke as I go slow for long periods of time. However, my compression is currently 150 PSI and my ports have minimum carbon build up. Want to know why?

Very simple; I decarbonize my engine every year at the beginning of the season. Over the years I have used different products but they have all given the same results. Currently I use Seafoam and it does a really good job. The Wally world oil I use meets the SAE spec but probably doesn't have the same additives that Pennzoil or Quicksilver do but then again, I don't pay for it.

pugerz

Seaman

I have a motor i bought 23 years old and have no clue what was used for oil. I know the guy before me was using 24:1 oil mixture and pennzoil. I have what i have and do think using products to rid carbon on your motor sounds like a good regular maintenance item to do. If you use the best oil according to the mechanic, no carbon, less maintenance needed and no decarb needed just run some power clean in your fuel every so often. I think in theory that might work on a new motor bought and you ran only the lubrizol additive oil and use the mercury power clean in you gas, but i dont know. I know people swear by thier cheap oil and have testimonies.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The more expensive oil is better.Any oil can be used.
These 2 strokes should be de-carboned every year.So use any oil you want.
The more you use it the more you decarb.!!!!! J

pugerz

Seaman

There are people out there and alot of them that just use cheap oil and do hardly no maintenance to these motors. Under those conditions, then we have a good candidate for bad engine in the future. You buy it used, you have no idea what you got. So switching to a higher grade oil is not the answer if motor 20 years or older. Too late, decarb motor? Some out there do hardly nothing, turn motor on each year and use, abuse and put in pennzoil or some walmart brand and it keeps running. Not sure about that one.