fuel consumption 14' lund with 25hp

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
i just bought a 14' lund with a 25hp johnson on the back of it. (2003 2 stroke tiller) and hes giving us two 6 gallon tanks. was wondering how much i would burn an hour aprox. and if i can get away with just 1 tank for the day. (meaning 4 hours motor tops)
also im 140 lbs and my brother is 180. and maybe some fishing rods and thats about it weightwise
ps any idea on the model/year?

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel consumption 14' lund with 25hp

Ayuh,.... Trolling 4hrs., or WOT for 4hrs.,..??

That's the kinda question that's answered by trial,& Error.... It's the Error part that sucks...
General rule of thumb, boatin' wise is 1/3rd capacity out, 1/3rd back, 1/3rd for Safety...
Whether it's 6 gals. or 60 gals....

Nice lookin' little barge,... The motor looks to Long though...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have a similar rig and I chart gas consumed and running hours. For the entire summer I average 1.3 gal / hour. That includes some trolling, some full speed and a lot in between.

I have a 6.5 gal tank and always take a 2 gal "gas can" with me too.

If you have the room, I'd keep both tanks full and see where it takes you.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok,i dont see a trolling motor in pics so you have 3 options.take both tanks(best),take a full tank and a small extra can of couple gallons(probably ok),or make sure there are oars in the boat,dont go alone and eat your wheaties that morning!seriously,there is absolutely no good reason for ever running out of gas.you ll quickly learn how much fuel you use in your style of boating,whatever that may be.after a couple trips out you ll probably be able to scale down to one tank.looks like theres alot of fish to be caught from that little rig,IF you dont run out of gas getting to them!

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

oh, there is a bow mounted trolling motor. its just not hooked up in the
i suppose ill just bring a 1 gallon can with me, and some 2 stroke oil.
i mean 4 hours of motoring is probably is alot higher than ill actually do.

john from md

Commander

Take a little GPS receiver with you and figure your gas burn with the miles you traveled. If you normally operate the engine the same way whenever you go out, you will get an idea how much fuel you use on the trip.

John

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a nice looking rig. Don't forget to factor in the extra weight of all the fish you're going to be bringing back :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Forget charting fuel consumption. Your boat will consume approximately 2.5 gallons/hour at wide open throttle. what it consumes with the same load at anything less than that is only a guess since water conditions, load, and speed all play into that. Somewhere between half and 2/3 throttle is the most economical setting and at that setting it should burn roughly 1.75 - 2 gallons/hour. The very best economy is at displacement speed. Displacement speed is just poking along off-plane. Only problem with that is it takes forever to get anywhere. In the end it doesn't matter what the economy is. You own a boat, they burn fuel, and if the rate it burns that fuel is a burdon, you picked the wrong recreation. It appears a single six gallon tank will be more than adequate for a days outing the way you operate the boat. But then that also depends on how big the body of water is you frequently run. If you need to burn a 1/4 tank of fuel getting back to the dock or ramp to get more fuel, that dictates whether you take extra fuel with you.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat looks good, the motor looks nice but what's up with the tires?

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

the old tires were dryrotted and po didnt take tags off.
if thats what youre asking

CChase86

Seaman Apprentice

the old tires were dryrotted and po didnt take tags off.
if thats what youre asking

I think it's the incredibly small trailer wheel size that's getting people. They're not going to be easy on some boat ramps, that's for sure.

Nice motor though.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I have a 14' Lund S14LTD with a 35hp on it and over 2 seasons I have yet to burn through a full tank of gas in a day. As a matter of fact when I know I'll just be fising my local lake I'll only put 3 gal of gas in it and still haven't used that in a day but then most of the time is spent fishing and not motoring.

I believe it wont take you long to figure out what kind of fuel use your activity will dictate. Just keep an eye on it for the first few trips.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

i did notice that when we tried to launch it. but seeing how the wheels are brand new and 2 spares it dosent seem practical to replace
but i guess ill just look when i take it to my local ramps and see how it goes then