Remote outdrive lube reservoir

Redline54

Cadet
I was wondering if lube is pumped through the reservoir on a Mercruiser or if it simply keeps the outdrive full. If water entered the outdrive would the reservoir give an indication?

Thanks,
Chris

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remote outdrive lube reservoir

Howdy,

Not exactly. There's only 1 tube connecting the reservoir to the drive. The drive does pressurize it slightly and when the small amount of air in the drive is "bubbled" up into the reservoir, The liquid is then "pulled" back into the drive when it subsequently cools making level drop a little....you'll have to add a little..... If there's no leaks, the level will pretty much stop dropping.

I have heard of drives that "USE" oil. Drives don't use oil... the only way the oil can get out is to be drained or for the drive to leak.

If water entered the outdrive would the reservoir give an indication?
Yeah. when water gets into a drive, it's leaking. Either the oil level drops or when the drive gets hot enough some of the water will vaporize (steam) and REALLY pressurize the reservoir.
Some have had the cap blow off!:eek: Makes a huge mess in the engine compartment.

If you're changing the oil at the end of the season you would see it, and if not .....drain a little at the end of the season so you can look at it.

Also, when the drive heats up and there's water in the oil, the pressure will push the emulsified oil into the reservoir. IF you look at the tank before it blows the cap off, you may see the mixture....... (stand back!!!)

Cheers,

Rick

Redline54

Cadet

Thanks for the response! I have no reason to suspect my drive is leaking but its my first boat and I keep it in a wet slip so I don't really have any way to check.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you're keeping the boat in the water, you should absolutely drain the oil at the end of each boating season(or every 100hrs which ever comes sooner) to ensure you do not have water intrusion....

Otherwise, check that reservoir before and after running the boat as a normal routine....

I'm always looking in the engine compartment before and after running the boat to look for oil, water leaks etc.....