omc gimbal housing

flatoutslow

Recruit
I recently purchased a 93 four winns with a 3.0 and omc cobra outdrive. I took it in for service and was told the gimbal housing was ruined from running it too long with a bad bearing and overheating it. My question is, what do I need to look for when finding a used replacement? What year models, engine sizes, etc. I wish i had known more about omc before buying.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc gimbal housing

I recently purchased a 93 four winns with a 3.0 and omc cobra outdrive. I took it in for service and was told the gimbal housing was ruined from running it too long with a bad bearing and overheating it. My question is, what do I need to look for when finding a used replacement? What year models, engine sizes, etc. I wish i had known more about omc before buying.

Yeah, don't we all......

That's a Dog-Clutch Cobra.......

You need the aluminum housing #51 below. (Pic from BRP parts) You do know that you must remove the drive, engine and complete transom mount. I don't think you can even buy that thing new. You can probably find one on ebay. (I sold mine on EBAY)

If you look at the actual part number, you can determine which models it was used with.

I did a quick check and both 1990 and 1993 used the part # 0986718 GIMBAL HOUSING ASSY

So just about any year may work.

Cheers,

Rick

convert

flatoutslow

Recruit

Thanks Rick. Right after I posted the question my mechanic called back and told me he had gotten it apart after all and was almost finished putting it back together. Dodged a bullet this time. Anyone want a good used boat........?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well,

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water!

My Cobra ran fine and others here have had them run just fine for many years. Taken care of and maintained they're pretty much ok.

A gimbal bearing seizing would be a problem in any drive. (your cobra and many Mercs use the same bearing)

I'm guessing that the mechanic was able to replace the bearing and IS replacing the bellows, etc?

Just make sure he drains and fills the drive properly (ask him how he filled it!!!) and does the other stuff needed each year and you'll probably be fine...

There's still al lot of parts around for the "Dogs"....... as long as you don't have a 460 with the Spitfire ignition :eek::p, you'll be ok!!

Have a great summer with that thing!!

Rick