1985 Mercury 75 hp 4 cyl.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
My motor idles ok. Throttles up in the yard with rabbit ears on it. Including when shifted into gear. Took it to the lake for the first time this spring(new motor to me) And when I put it into gear and throttled up it would die. I had previously cleaned both carbs. Tried two different fuel tanks today, same thing it just died whenever I would power up. Always while in gear. Any ideas??

charliehines4126

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 Mercury 75 hp 4 cyl.

I have the same Problem with my 70 HP and can't figure it iut either I did the carb thing and all so If you dont mind and find out what you had going on email me and let me know and I'll do the same.I know its very frustrating.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When its in the water, its under a load that can't be duplicated with muffs. Have you rebuilt the fuel pump? Checked timing and /or compression?

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same Problem with my 70 HP and can't figure it iut either I did the carb thing and all so If you dont mind and find out what you had going on email me and let me know and I'll do the same.I know its very frustrating.

I had my motor hooked to a fuel tank under the front end of the boat. I started to question the motors small fuel pumps ability to draw the fuel. Put in a electric fuel pump and problem solved.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You most likely had a problem with the pump. It should draw the fuel 16-18 ft with no problem at all. My 90 Johnson was drawing fuel from a tank 18 ft away with no problems at all. For safety sake I hope you have that electric pump rigged to shut off automatically if the motor stops running.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

you most likely had a problem with the pump. It should draw the fuel 16-18 ft with no problem at all. My 90 johnson was drawing fuel from a tank 18 ft away with no problems at all. For safety sake i hope you have that electric pump rigged to shut off automatically if the motor stops running.

10/4