Outdrive noise

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a question for you guys. I have a 1984 Mercruiser Alpha 3.7L outdrive and when I put it in forward or reverse there is a not to bad grinding for a second until it is fully engaged then there is no noise at all. Is this normal if engaging the outdrive slowly? I noticed it when I first bought the boat and recently I tore the outdrive apart to rebuild the water pump and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Premium oil used and completely full. Like I said it's not bad of a grinding, it's just annoying. It picks up and runs great even at wot.

badkins50

Re: Outdrive noise

Yeah. The dock I use is in a no wake zone and when I'm putting it in reverse to back out of the dock and when I'm leaving the dock I have to engage slowly because I don't want to cause a big stir with the fellow boaters.

havasuboatman

Ensign

You don't shift a boat into gear slowly. Tears up the clutch dogs. Just a quick smooth motion into gear.

badkins50

Ok. Thanks. I was just trying not to **** anyone off at the docks. I need to get a better feel for what I have. Now I know. This is my first boat and I'm still learning things. I did notice that if I shifted faster it was nice and smooth.

havasuboatman

Ensign

You should be able to shift it the way I suggested without gassing the motor at all. If you can't your cables need adjustment and/or replacement.