Temp guage not working (I think)

3ball

Seaman
Temp gauge on my 2002 Reinell is not registering. I don't think its a problem with the gauge itself because when I turn the key the needle moves. It goes to about 100 deg then just stays there. (Its not possible that that is the actual engine temp is it?) I think it may be a problem at the engine. What does the connection look like? & where should I look for it?

3ball

Seaman
Re: Temp guage not working (I think)

I have been researching this some more & will test the sending unit. can someone tell me where this and & what it looks like? engine is a Merc 5.7. Thank you

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It can be located most anywhere on the engine but typically in the thermostat housing or the crossover water passage in the intake manifold.

3ball

Seaman

OK, I found the sender.
  • I grounded the tan wire to the block & it pegged the gauge.
  • I removed the sender put it in hot water then grounded it back to the block
When I did this I got a reading on the gauge. My next step is to test the thermostat. Am I correct in this assumption?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the engine is not coming up to temperature someone in their infinite wisdom may have actually removed the thermostat thinking they were doing the engine a great service. Engineers put one in there for a reason -- it's called engine efficiency. So step 1 is to see if you actually have one and 2) if you do, test it, and if not 3) install a new one.

3ball

Seaman

Figured it out. the thermostat was in there but it was seated wrong. going to re-installing it now to test it. I don't have a new gasket until morning though.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral

Hard to tell exactly what is going on from the pic, but it looks like the thermostat rim has corroded away to the point that it got pushed up into the housing. I would replace it.

3ball

Seaman

Actually everything was pretty much OK. T-stat still worked (I will replace it anyway) It looks like when the last person put it in it slipped a little when they turned it upside down & it did not seat right.