Bass Boat Crash

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bass Boat Crash

This has been posted about a zillion times. And the arguement always gets heated about whether or not he was stupid, what he did wrong, yada yada. I'd rather not relive it.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

No matter how many times I watch that video, I'm always astounded as to why someone would push a boat that far over the edge.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

This has been posted about a zillion times. And the arguement always gets heated about whether or not he was stupid, what he did wrong, yada yada. I'd rather not relive it.

ezmobee.... I realized after I posted it that it might get heated like the last one on PFDs... if it does, please close the thread. Not my intent.

I'm not suggesting any discussion on right/wrong.....

He's just one lucky SOB. End of Story

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Sorry, one other point I will make however is that I'm showing this to my 12 yr old who wants to go WOT in any condition...just to show how quickly accidents can happen.....

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

May have been posted a lot but it always gives me a reality check !!:eek:

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never seen that before. Wow! Even with the PFD and kill switch that guy was damn lucky he did not suffer a lethal head injury.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have never seen it, over powered boat, effects of chinewalking, jumping wakes. imho, good training video, for newbies. PFD's, proper operation. glad driver survived.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I do believe in having the PFD's but I also believe that if you drive like a nut bad things could happen,glad my Tri-Hull can only go 31 and when I see waves that can knock me insides around I slow down:D

j_martin

Admiral

My boat will fly pretty well, and when conditions permit, I delight in doing that.

That fool, however, nearly lost it a couple of times in much smoother water before he actually did lose it. What he tried to do when he lost it was way beyond the capabilities of the driver, and probably also the boat.

my 02
john

D

DJ

I remember seeing it and was mystified as to why there was any debate about it.

I was always curious as to why he was in the water for 10 minutes? What the heck was that photo boat crew doing?

Bigprairie1

Commander

I think Bass Boats were invented along with PWC's to naturally 'thin out the herd'.:eek:;)
BP

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was always curious as to why he was in the water for 10 minutes? What the heck was that photo boat crew doing?

I agree you think they would have turned right away to assist but 10 min ???? sounds like they are stretching things to make what is a very good and valid point of wearing a PFD at all times.

skargo

Banned

Maybe they were worried about neck injuries, that's why he was in the water for 10 minutes.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hasn't anyone done Tournament Bass Fishing? That is really a common style of driving and performance. I have seen passenger's tossed overboard, broken ribs, broken wrists but.....it's all part of the game.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a runner up for the Darwin Award. Look at how unstable the boat was on flat water at about one minute into the video.

j_martin

Admiral

Hasn't anyone done Tournament Bass Fishing? That is really a common style of driving and performance. I have seen passenger's tossed overboard, broken ribs, broken wrists but.....it's all part of the game.

I have been. Rode in a real wide one on Mississippi Pool 8, driver was in third wave, driving to beat someone in the first wave to a honey hole in the black river, 22 miles upstream.

We took a barge wake at nearly full speed, but the driver skillfully throttled back enough to prevent blow over such as is seen here, but not enough to submarine it. The boat had very good directional stability, and the chine walking falling off the pad chit this boat was doing was not in the picture at all.

We also had hold down straps to keep us in our seats. That driver was all over the boat before the crash.

We gunwale skipped over a half dozen wing dams, and beat our opponent.

I do have to admit it was hard to keep control of the bowels.:D

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I had to convert that video to download it to my computer.
I'm going to use that in a safety briefing.

I'm a great swimmer and naturally buoyant, but if I leave the
boat unexpectantly, it would probably be a result of a violent
and unplanned event.

We require vests and I always clip on to the kill switch for just
such an event.