Ok to run w/out T-Stat?

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,

I have a 1976' 75HP Johnson...

After impeller replacement, I still wasn't getting water flow... every once in a while it would "burp" water, then stop again.

Pulled the T-Stat and dropped in boiling water, and doesnt open....

I am using another motor for parts, but when I went to pull the T-stat out of it, it didnt have one....

So my question is, is there any reason why I cant just "gut" the plunger out of this T-Stat and use it like that? (I know you can do it on older cars).

I live in FL, and don't run the boat in winter, so don't really need it to "warm up" per se. I just don't know the total ramifications of eliminating it on this motor... (and sorry, no I cant buy a new one, im completely broke, sorry to cut corners, but sometimes you have to). :(

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Ok to run w/out T-Stat?

I THINK the thermostats are just to let the motor warm up quicker...

and ther colder the more it is needed..

then again there are motors that have features that rely on engine temp to work...I think the quickstart feature of some mores work under this premise...

even though i am thinking also that a 1976 motor might not have that feature.

I have some t stats i took out of my 95 115 ocean runner.... that i am pretty sure are still good, but since I replced them, i wont use them again...pm me your address, and Ill mail them to you...

you have to figure of they will fit...

bob

skargo

Banned

There's a reason they were designed WITH a thermostat. I'd save up and do it right, if it were me.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

IMO, running without one for the short term is fine, but running without in the long term will cause premature engine failure as it will never run at the correct operating temp. You will also burn more gas.

Short answer: Yes, but replace when you get a chance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Numlaar, put a new stat in it, also replace the popits and seats. even in Florida, we need the tstats. it keeps the motor at the proper temp. without it, you can get a bad running motor, carbon build up, and other things.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess short cutting isnt the way to go with these....

Sadly, I just blew the motor... Got it all ready to go, ran great for 20 mins then boom... #2 cylinder went (middle one). I now have 140 compression top, 135 bottom, and 40 in the middle (was 130 this morning).

I went through the carbs AGAIN and don't see anything wrong... float is working, high speed orifice is good, flow is good, I have no idea why #2 went...

At this point, you can probably cross me off the FL get together... I am too pissed off to go, especially without a boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pull the head, could just be a gasket. running without stat, water moves to fast to cool the center cylinder. you've got to pull the head anyway. did you get any water when you check compression?