Help with rewiring dash guages w/ Evinrude 115

rlason

Cadet
Short Story: I'm looking for a diagram or help in drawing one so I can replace and clean up the wiring in my SeaSwirl 16" O'/B. I'm using the original Evinrude tilt/trim relay box, side mount controls & engine harnesses (the one with the BIG red connector) and a new set of Teleflex gauges (tach, speedo, volt, trim).

Longer Story: Original rigger must have been drunk. The under dash looks like a birds nest. Lot's of extra wires going nowhere. Most just tied up to keep them off the floor. I'm surprised the boat ran all these years.

I drew a crude drawing of what I need. Feel free to toss it.

My AIM screen name is: rlason1952 if that's easier.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

Attachments

• sc00069c53.jpg
    sc00069c53.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Help with rewiring dash guages w/ Evinrude 115

http://easyacdc.com/?page_id=54

I may have some more links...

in your diagram the "power" circle is a power port? I cant think of a guage that is called power?

most of your "circles" are guages, but some seem like they cant be gauges..

so kinda confusing...maybe the horn and power are switches??

on your harness from the control should be a purple wire...which will be supplied to each of the gauges that you want to be lighted when you turn your navigation lights on..

the guages will label the connection point on their backs.

next is a grey wire..this is your tach signal..so it only goes to the tachomter..

there is a ground usually from the hraness as well...it goes either to a buss bar and then all your grounds go there...or you can send t the first gauge then jumper from gauge to gauge...

the trim set up you is odd. to me,...

most trim wires come from the control, that i have known of..

I dont want to venture to try and tell you how to hook up a volt meter...seems easy, but i dont have one and dont have the experience.

trims gauges dont work very long and are seldom used in real life...

i swore i would use mine..but havent...plus the sender is on the fritz often...

i would install a water pressure gauge and a temp gauge(dont remember if you listed one)...they are way more important

good luck

bob

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I'll try. your guages may have a light,the lights can all be connected with a common wire(blue)and then go to your navigation light switch.power to the switch from a fuse.each guage will have a black negative ,that will go to your negative strip.Yourtach will have a grey lead ,your diagram of the control box shows some wires coming out,the grey is usually with them,otherwise open the control box and find the grey from the main harness.that is the pulse lead,there would be a solid purple,that is the accessory lead,it basically supples power when the key is ON.Use that for power to the tach,NOT THE GREY LEAD the tach will have a purple lead as well to tie to.You can make a mini harness to go to dash from your box,to supply those leads,you can get your negative at any point,its easiest to go to your negative bar rather than another wire to run from control box.Your trim and tilt> green is down ,blue is up,if your control box has the switch,you can take power(red)from the red power to the control box,or any other positive source,(but you want it to be fused)your eng should have a fuse on top rear of powerhead that will control that.Or take the power from a fuse panel with a 20 amp fuse(I think that is ok,or check size of fuse in the engine s red fuse connector as I mentioned.You should have the tnt relay box ,hopefilly you have a harness that clips into the switch handle to the tnt case.If not,run the red as I mentioned and then run blue and green to the relay box,connect on the terminals or connect to the short harnessthat comes out,its possible that changes were made over the yrs,so I will try and give options as I can.Your speedo will need a sending unit of some type,usually a hose that connects to transom,you can pick up the power at the accessory.You should have a terminal for accessory which is on only when the key is in run position,purple.Basically your tach,speedo,fuel will be on accy.You want Nav lights and anchor lights,there is a special switch for that ,you want nav for all lights,anchor just when anchored ,you can also use 2 seperate switches.Again ,black is negative,you will likely have blk.and white tails on the lights to be connected to.the white is positive ,run that to your switch,if you have a multi switch ,read the wiring details.If single function connect to any connector on the switch.the feed then goes to a fuse.Al grounds can go to your grounding strip.If your switch has lights ,you want them to go to nav light switch.horn ,same thing,to a momentry on switch,power from fuse ,gnd.to block.Fuel -the sending unit may have a grounding green tab ,many boats have a grounding strap ,or you can connect to engine mounting bolt.its different then negative.you will have negative too,that goes to your negative bar,positive to the sending unit on the tank,and power from the accy.also to the sending unit.Sending unit gets its power then transmits gallonage to your guage.I assume your PWR is a switch,that should be used as a master to your lights ,pumps ,electronics etc.Remember to keep the tach,speedo fuel operating from the accy(accessory)from the keyswitch.Dont forget a bilge pump.There are many types ,some are as simple as hooking up the wires to positive and negative with a fuse link in between and it automatically goes on and off every so many seconds.If it senses water ,it remains running til pumped.Or,put a pump in the black goes to negative,brown is positive,you then hook up to a floatswitch wire then the other floatswitch wire goes to the fuse panel.That is a simple float switch hookup.you can also run an additional positive ,from a manual switch on the dash or where ever,power from a fuse ,to the manual switch, then tie the feed to the brown wire from the pump ,where it connects to the float switch,if the float should fail,you can always throw the manual on.the float dont usually get as much water out ,as manual.Many people wire up different ways.I try to keep the engine stuff to the engine,other than the guages that control the operation while eng is running.I prefer seperate light switches rather then the switch with the diode that allows you to operate the nav and anchor on one switch.If you use the multi switch,be sure you wire it correct.when in the nav position ,it should light nav and anchor lites.In anchor just anchor.Its not that important to follow a code,it does help later if you are tracing wiring,but most people just use black for negative red in a boat for positive .I'll monitor for additional help,or private message me.Hopefully others will chime in too.

rlason

Cadet

You're right the PWR circle is a cigar ligher power point. The lights and horn oare indeed switches

When you say control, I'm guessing you mean the engine control that shifts gears and applies power. The bundle coming from the engine (BIG RED PLUG) goes directly into that control but only three come back out. A molded plug with just he purple, black and yellow wires I show in the diagram. Is that the purple one for the lights you mention. I'm not sure where the grey one for the tach would coming from, unless its a wire in the bundle coming from the tilt/trim relay box. That bundle goes up to the dash area.

Thanks for your reply and your help, Rick

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The three wire amphenol plug on the remote control is for a tachometer and should have one black, one gray and one purple wire as shown here: http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc_pics/REMCONTBOX.jpg

The yellow wire is either a gray wire that has faded, or someones's adaptation, because there is no yellow wire in an OMC/BRP harness.