1965 Johnson 9.5 "cough" at low rpm..Help!

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up a really nice, clean 1965 Johnson 9.5hp. It has great compression, new water pump, brand new coils, points, and plugs. Starts 1st pull cold. Complete and really clean!! Got it for $90 and it runs great, that is unless you try and idle it.

It was "coughing" or something (I don't know how else to describe it) all the time. I swapped the carb with one from a 1973 9.5 parts motor I have and once I got the mixture set it was perfect. Ran it in the tank for about 30 mins with no issue.

Pulled the fuel line to let it run out and it started doing it again. Now it is fine with a little throttle or with the choke half closed but at normal idle it keeps "coughing" and will stall. Any ideas?

spunkyjr

Seaman
Re: 1965 Johnson 9.5 "cough" at low rpm..Help!

Does your handle have a large round screw on it? This screws in and out to adjust the idle.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

It isn't an idle speed problem. It is some sort of carb issue I think. But how likely is it that I have 2 bad carbs?

jack20

Recruit

I'd try the mixture screw, if it runs good with a little choke then richen the low speed (turn out) usually a cough means its too lean

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Does your handle have a large round screw on it? This screws in and out to adjust the idle.

65 doesn't have the adjustment on the handle unfortunately.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have tried and tried with the mixture and it just does not help!!!!! Other ideas anyone???

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

if it runs good with the choke on,,prob just dirty carb,if you have a bulb primer hose,make sure no air/fuel leaks

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the choke on it seems to run good but the rpm's go up like I am throttling it or something.

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah ,with the choke on it will make it pull fuel,,might be some trash in your low speed,causing it to lean out and cough,,,have you took the low speed needle valve out and checked the tip?if its leaning out be careful not to burn it up,it can burn a hole in your piston

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I had the needle out. I even switched to another carb. When I switched it ran great for about 30 mins and then started the same stuff!!!

kbait

Commander

You have 2 carbs that are clogged on the low speed circuit. You must pull the carb to clean.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like Kbait said, probably both have clogged slow speed circuits. Or maybe a exhaust leak as these motors don`t idle well in a barrel. There is a brand new shift shaft boot and plate( which is no longer avail) on everyones favorite auction site right now with no bids if needed.

kbait

Commander

True that, ultra3. Run it without cowling to find that out. If that IS the problem, get the fleabay parts, as they're rare. I think it's a powerhead-pull job to replace :(