No Spark on 70 Rude- Strange Problem

amsimonsjs

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I have an 81 Rude 70HP that will not start and has no spark.

This occurred after replacing my ignition switch.

While replacing the switch, I made a few sparks happen with the screwdriver, so I'm guessing I shorted something out.

I'm going to throw another power pack in today, and see what happens.

What parts can burn out from shorting wires at the ign. switch?

Please let me know, I'm going to give it a good look-over in a few, but any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!

-Alex

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: No Spark on 70 Rude- Strange Problem

dude stop replacing parts until you find out your problem. Will the motor turn over? if not it could be the fuse near the big red plug on your engine, usually in a small red plastic connection. 20 amp fuse there I think.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

If the motor turns over then it is not the fuse. If you inadvertently put a positive voltage onto the black/yellow wire at the ignition switch then you most likely blew up your power pack. Hopefully just the fuse.

-- Jeff

amsimonsjs

Seaman Apprentice

I checked the fuse near the red plug, its not blown. The motor cranks just fine with the ign. switch.

I was guessing I could've blown up the power pack. Will a power pack from a 235 fit on this one? They both look identical.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-Alex

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

quick check the pack by disconnecting the big red harness plug,then jump the starter and check for spark,if you dont need to do anything but jump to the starter,eng will provide the spark,no spark,then you likely blew the pack,and yes try the 235 pack,if you use that pack for permanently be sure you connect the small wires correct,if you still have no spark,unplug the kill wire at the pack ,its the black one with the white stripe,test for spark, spark,you may have blown the switch again ,or your getting ground to the kill circut thru the switch,a wire touching somewhere,fried the harness