Flywheel Noob question

Incredibad

Cadet
Rebuilding the 350 for the boat and was looking at the massive flywheel thats on there now, I've read a few things about guys who have shaved their flywheels in there boats to squeeze a little extra out of them. I was wondering if there would be any down side, or harm to running a flex plate as opposed to this massive flywheel? Is the inertial force from this rotating mass beneficial to a marine engine in some way? or does it operate like a car and the lighter the better? please bear with me and my retarded questions.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel Noob question

Waste of effort. A boat is more like a truck rather than a race car. Most of your power is in trying to get up on plane. Lightening up the flywheel doesn't help you here because you aren't looking for an engine that is fast revving.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I agree with Bruce,...
Going with a Heavier flywheel would be Better, than lightening it...

This is a Boat, not a Dragster...

Incredibad

Cadet

Thanks for the input, just curious, something that crossed my mind. I'm too used to building fast cars.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

it is my understanding that the heavier flywheel also provides a little additional momentum to keep the engine from dying when the shift interrupt drops the spark long enough for you to put it in gear without chipping a tooth in the outdrive...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

it is my understanding that the heavier flywheel also provides a little additional momentum to keep the engine from dying when the shift interrupt drops the spark long enough for you to put it in gear without chipping a tooth in the outdrive...

Sort of...

...it does provide the momentum needed to keep from stalling when shifting into gear (engine at 650rpm, prop at 0)

but the shift interrupt only activates coming OUT of gear.

cr2k

Captain

Not to mention smoothing out the idle and allowing a slower idle to keep from damaging the dogs when shifting.

Oh wait I wasn't gonna mention that.