Proper jug line procedures

bic-it

Cadet
I was out fishing a few weeks ago for catfish. I had thrown out an anchor and started throwing out some jug lines around the boat. We had only been sitting there about 15 minutes when one of the jugs started going crazy. It was completely submerging and popping out of the water. The line was about 30 feet from the boat. I didn't want to start my outboard (200hp) and scare all the fish. So I attempted to use the trolling motor, it didn't work. I looked around and did the only thing that I could think of. I did the biggest belly flop of my life into the lake after the jug. I swam over and grabbed it, I overestimated my swimming ability to the fish. I thought that I would easily be able to pull it back to the boat. The fish had other ideas. After a couple of minute fight in the water, I got it in the boat. I was a five pound large mouth bass, on a jug line? The only bad thing is that my fishing buddy witnessed the whole thing. It turns out that the reason that my trolling motor didn't work because it wasn't plugged into the switch panel. My friend laughed for about half an hour. The worst part is that my fishing buddy works with me and told everybody the real story about what happened. He asked me what on earth I was thinking. I told him that I didn't want to scare the fish. He told me that my belly flop scared the fish a lot more that any outboard could have. The biggest bass of my life and I had to catch it like that.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Proper jug line procedures

too funny...I mainly jug fish and have to admit...I'VE NEVER DONE THAT :D <br /><br />I'm not getting into the water with a big fish with hooks in it getting close to me....<br /><br />fish will come back <br /><br />great story...wish I was in the boat to watch you.<br /><br />ps...don't tell too many people that...against TX rules to keep a bass caught on jugs!

brother chris

Commander

That is too funny! I wish I could have watched that. <br />Hey, at least you caught the fish. <br />All we caught yesterday was a 3" trout. :rolleyes:

bic-it

Cadet

I released the fish. I couldn't bear to keep him, my dad always told me to release them to keep the "big fish" blood line going. Not much of a bass fisherman anyways. It did occur to me about the hooks, but I was only in about 8 feet of water and only had one hook on each line. My fishing buddy joked about starting a fund for a camcorder at work so that everyone can watch next time. I have aquired the nickname "Red Neck Fisherman" and yes I am very proud of it.