battery charged reversed?

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
anyone know the symptoms of installing a battery that was charged in reverse polarity and then installed on a 84 omc 5.7 litre engine its possible this happened to me thanks to a good friend MR. Jack Daniels please reply if you have seen or heard of this

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: battery charged reversed?

Hard to tell from your description of what actually took place but one must assume you mean the battery charger was attached with the POS lead on the NEG post and the NEG lead on the POS post. If that's the case, the battery would not likely charge. It could have affected some electronics on the boat however if any of those items were turned on.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hooked up backwards most charger would not turn on today.
If it did turn on then I would expect it to go up in smoke.
If You actually got minus 12 volts to your electronics then all the fuses would be blown or the electronics burned up.

This would be very hard do.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I had a dry stack storage marina. Boats returning late often did not get picked up untill the next morning. It was not unusual for the portable gas tanks and the batteries to be missing. about twice a year we would leave our boat on the dock with portable tanks filled with our special mix and batteries that we charged backwards. If a battery is stone cold dead it will charge backwards with no problem. You must put a wire across it and let it set to really drop it to zero. The first time we did it a friend that worked in a boat repair shop was telling us about a strange thing that happened to a crab boat. It kept blowing packs. He said his meter found the problem. He fixed it and turned it back to the craber. The next day the craber was back with a locked up motor. Darn luck he was having.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

. If a battery is stone cold dead it will charge backwards with no problem.
Physically impossible. If there is a reverse voltage at all, it would go completely to zero if just a slight load of a few milli amps was put on it.

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

YES!!! it will take a reverse charge kill it dead and try for yourself

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

2 things come into play here

The battery must be able to be charged.
It must be dead 100% you need to put a load across it and leave it there hours to remove any possable charge. I always used old take outs that people did not want. I would not use a good battery that I plan to keep.