What type of paint should I use?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I have a 1982 Checkmate that I am looking to re-paint because it is terribly faded. I am going to follow all of the necessary procedures to properly paint, such as cleaning, sanding, priming, etc. My question is this: once I finish the basic painting (primer and topcoat), I intend to have some graphics custom painted on the boat. Can I use any type of paint that I want as long as I put a marine quality clear coat on top of it, or does it all have to be marine quality paint? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Boater45

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What type of paint should I use?

Hello,

I have a 1982 Checkmate that I am looking to re-paint because it is terribly faded. I am going to follow all of the necessary procedures to properly paint, such as cleaning, sanding, priming, etc. My question is this: once I finish the basic painting (primer and topcoat), I intend to have some graphics custom painted on the boat. Can I use any type of paint that I want as long as I put a marine quality clear coat on top of it, or does it all have to be marine quality paint? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I know it's expensive but I would go with marine paint only. I have heard of people using porch paint but I have no experience with it.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello,

I would say that if its only the graphics yes perhaps a good auto paint but if it the hole boat no go with marine. Rustoliume makes a marine top side paint that is much cheaper then most only about $15 Qt (sold on Amizon.com) . I dont know what kind of color selection they have but I know there is a base white, perhaps it can be colored if they dont produce the colors you want.

tallcanadian

Captain

I painted mine with Interlux Brightsides. It's a tough paint and has a great shine. Even with the roll and tip method.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I painted mine with Interlux Brightside...

Same here. It's held up really great. Its a single part polyurethane and fairly easy to apply if you prepare the surface according to the instructions. Here a photo taken in 2006. The finish is still in great condition.

DSC01757.jpg