Wiring A tach

beck115

Cadet
Can a Tachometer be wired into a 1985 Evinrude 2 Clyinder 60 HP motor,what type should be used and how would it be wired

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Wiring A tach

If you have a gray lead available, that's the tach (pulse) lead. You just need a ground and a switched + for internal gauge illumination (if the tach has that feature. That's it.

The tach may have a setting: use 6P.

SparkieBoat

Captain

most boat tachs are universal, you should have a rubber wire connector under your key switch on your controls, this is for your tach, get a harness plug it in connect wires to proper place on tach (it is color coded), set tach to proper pulse setting, should be included in tach instructions. here is a link to a cheap tach harness, the more expensive ones have the fittings already on the wire ends to connect to tach, just google "omc tach harness"
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/0173602/

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The engine (1985 60hp Evinrude) is "Tachometer Ready". You simply need a tachometer that can be adjusted to receive six (6) pulses. The usual tachometer has a dial on the back of it whereas you simply set the dial to number 6.

The usual tachometer will have four (4) wires.

Gray (sensor) connects to another Gray wire that will be protruding out of the engine to instrument or control box wiring harness.

Purple (voltage) will connect to the "A" terminal of the ignition switch.

Black (ground) will connect to a black related battery ground.

Blue (light) will connect to the proper terminal of the light switch.

Normally there will also be a three (3) prong rubber connector under the ignition switch if using a regular typr Evinrude control box..... or the plug may simply be hanging out the end of the wiring harness if a console type control. This plug will contain the Purple (voltage), Gray (sensor), and Black (ground) wire.

beck115

Cadet

Thank you very much ,very helpful,now I need a wiring harness and a tach that will work with it,O I found the plug your talking about,thanks all who answered

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a similar motor ('83 J60). I used a teleflex tach:

You can get the wiring harness here for OMC applications:

As the previous post indicates, there should be a plug on your control box for the tach. The wiring harness hooks directly to that and to your tachometer (plus power and lighting if you choose). Instructions were easy to follow.

The tach is pretty good although mine gets some condensation on cold mornings. So far it hasn't impacted the performance (to my knowledge).

beck115

Cadet

Every tach I look at says either 4,6 ,8 clyinder none say anything about pulses,will these tach's work or does it take a special tach for that motor,
Thanks again