What Starters Are Interchangeable?

MTUJeeper

Cadet
I have a 1969 115hp Evinrude that needs a new starter. My manual says that they are all interchangeable for the V4, but the evinrude parts catalog and everything I find on ebay only lists them from 69-72 (IIRC) for 85-125hp. The ones from 69-72 are almost 25-50 dollars more than the ones for other years but they appear no different at least externally. Anyone have any experience with this as to which is true? Thanks, Christian

fireman57

Captain
Re: What Starters Are Interchangeable?

You might want to take your old starter to a local shop and have them rebuild it. It's usually just a good cleanup and maybe a brush or two but they usually charge around 40-50 bucks which is a lot cheaper than a new one.

MTUJeeper

Cadet

Being in the little BFE town I live in there is one marina/boat service place, the next largest town is 100 miles away, so they charge an arm and a leg. I guess its worth giving them a call, I just try not to deal with them due to the fact that they cost so much.

MTUJeeper

Cadet

Well, they don't re-build starters, a new one through them is a little over 200 dollars, he said he can get me an end cap with brushes and stuff for probably 50-60 bucks. I would rather just buy a new one on ebay for 100 honestly. I started telling them about the engine how I bought it without spark and he told me to just throw it away rather than trying to fix it because ignition parts for that system are so expensive. What do you think?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I beg to differ. It'll be a lot more than 40 - 50 dollars to rebuild one of those. Last year, I spent $206.00 for a rebuild for an Evinrude 75hp.:eek: