'87 Ranger 371V electrical issues

Lance1234

Recruit
I am looking for the main 20amp fuse shown on my wiring diagram. Had my hands, face and half my body in the battery/oil/gas compartment of the boat and did not see what appeared to be a fuse.

Problem started last night when I plugged a search/spot light into my cigarette lighter, I heard a little pop, then everything that ran off my fuse panel died. I have checked, and all fuses in my fuse panel are good.

Does anyone know exactly where the main 20amp fuse exactly is and what it looks like?

thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: '87 Ranger 371V electrical issues

What are you working on?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Put your finger on the POSITIVE terminal of the battery. That terminal should have two wires attached to it. 1) the large battery cable going to the engine and 2) a smaller red wire (#8 or 10 gauge) that goes to the fuse panel. Follow that wire about 1 foot from the POSITIVE terminal on the battery and you should bump into a fuse or possibly a resettable circuit breaker.

Lance1234

Recruit

Thanks for the quick replies. I will take another look within a search radius of approx 1 foot from the battery. Just have not been able to see or feel anything yet that resembles a fuse or breaker. No fun having your face burried in the gas chamber looking for wires.

It is a used boat, and of course previous owners must have been part time butchers by the look of the electical downgrades they have made.