Doin' doughnuts in the ole jon boat

Opie2211

Cadet
Yep, it can be done :D I'm used to doing doughnuts all the time on my 4-wheeler so when I got a motor for my jon boat, I couldn't help myself. Got it out in the middle of the river, with my lifejacket on and a few buddies close by. I hammered down and cut it sharp...cuts them perfect. The only problem I have is after about 3 or 4 of 'em, my 3 and a half horser starts to bog a bit but keeps on goin. Anyone else ever tried this? :) <br /><br />Oh, by the way, I wouldn't recommend doing this with more than two people in the boat (12' V-bottom) You tend to take on a little water :D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Doin' doughnuts in the ole jon boat

Kind of sounds like fun .. but man.. if you flipped that boat over, would you be able to get it back upright? What about the motor? Those things don't like to go under...<br /><br />I sure wouldn't do this with anyone in the boat...or even near it.. what if someone got hurt?<br /><br />Not trying to be a party pooper here ... just be safe.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

oh yeah, back in the teenage years, 14ft john, 6hp 'rude, feet up on the seat, cutting donuts, trying to grab a beer can out of the water, when oops, feet go back over head, partner's feet go over partner's head, us both in the water with the boat circling us. With it turned all the way it does bog a bit so it's going kind of slow. Fuel tank floated out a little away from the boat, so Kelly was able to disconnect it...takes a few minutes for the carbs to run dry. Boat swamped but didn't sink, so we bailed enough water out until we could climb aboard, start the motor & pull the plug to drain. lost two shirts, 3 rods/reels, one tackle box full of tackle. quite the adventure!<br /><br />this was at Wallace lake in N. Louisiana; pretty good bass lake, & full of water moccasins, but with the boat circling I wasn't too worried about snakes coming around.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It's an effective way to see if your motor is mounted tight. I have seen people loose motors doing the doughnut dance!<br /><br /><br />Bob

gaugeguy

Captain

Lost a friend 4 years ago who was doing this very thing. Too many beers, lost his balance, fell over the side, hull hit his head and knocked him unconscious. All we found after a couple hours of frantic searching was his prosthetic leg. He was found about a mile downriver two days later :(

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

IT's all funny until some one gets hurt.<br />Please be carfull.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Heck I have did it too. I had a 18 hp on my 14 foot flatty and it would carve the best of 'em. What was the funnest (is that a word?) was to run wide open and lean to the side. It was just like riding a motorcycle, a little lean in the direction you wanted to go.

speedwrench

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Helped pull guy out who did a donut and was thrown out, boat ran over him and kept circling. <br />Damn that was fun!!!! He did miss out on the Darwin award.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just goes to show there's a difference between "Stupid" and just plain ignorant.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

back in my drinking days I did it with a 14'60"beam jon with a 33 fastwin it was fun we were lucky but I dont reccomend it.<br /> glad you survived it

gonefishie

Commander

Last weekend there were this guy doing the same thing on a local lake here which is an idle only lake and caused a lot of waves. The dnr came and gave his stupid *** a expensive ticket.