First Boat....A 1970 Starcraft?

Just got this a few weeks ago. It is my first boat. Had it out on the lake and she runs good. Just wondering about the model. It has a Mercruiser 165 in it. I got it for $1800 with trailer. Good price?

Attachments

• db-gfxgetimg.jpg
    db-gfxgetimg.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2
  • db-gfxgetimg1.jpg
    db-gfxgetimg1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2
  • db-gfxgetimg3.jpg
    db-gfxgetimg3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First Boat....A 1970 Starcraft?

Looks clean and sharp. Fiberglass model eh.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it's got a solid deck and transom....I'd say you did well. I have heard nothing but good about the Merc 165. Rock solid motor.

Yeah the Deck is solid, no soft spots, the transom is good. A local marina looked it over before perchase and said that the only thing in bad shape was the prop, so I replaced it and fluids. I am going to work on the shining her up some more. I have done a lot of cosmetic work on cars and am sure I can learn the ins and outs of gelcoat work too. But I wanted something I could run on the water this summer and work on over the winter. Thanks for the info.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You better put some water back in the lakes :)

I thought of one thing you might look at on this boat although it might be different from you because yours is an I/O. My dad had a fiberglass Starcraft from the 60's. The boat was generally stored inside. Sometime around '90 I was trying to explain to him that the motor didn't seem to have much zip anymore. He thought I was crazy. I was looking at the boat on a hot day and noticed just a bit of water trying to fizz up through a microscopic crack. So, the boat seemed to have water in the void. I saw that there was a screw (maybe two?) with a rubber washer (or something like that) low on the transom. I pulled the screw and water shot out for a LONG time.

Thanks, I will take a look through those brochures.

I see those bolts with the rubber gaskets, no water coming out. Pulled the boat into the shop, and am doing a very extensive once over. Out side of some scratches and what looks like dock rubs the fiberglass looks very good. Could spend all day with it but best get the planter in here and do some work instead of playing all day. Sure would be a lot more time for boating if it wasnt for that whole making a living thing. :D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for posting the link to the brochures HA. I was too tired this morning to do it (redwings).

So welcome CC, you will find a lot of great guys and good information here.