Old post cant find. Locating serial and model on lower unit when removed?? Transom

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well the transom tag is worn out and posted before on locating the model etc. But cannot locate the old post, I remember someone saying that there is a stamp located somewhere when the lower unit is removed?

Im rebuilding the water pump tomorrow and wondering if anyone knows of this?? Oh and this is not one of the thousand fuel related problems on this site LOL

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old post cant find. Locating serial and model on lower unit when removed?? Transo

never heard of such a thing.

what motor are you trying to id?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old post cant find. Locating serial and model on lower unit when removed?? Transo

Post a pic if you cant find any #s A pic of the cowl and the powerhead.J

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here it is, I drilled out the water jacket plug to add a telltale and guess what snap crack and pop cracked the head so I called a place in florida that Ive used before for a swivel bracket and they had a few heads down their and a few used part motors he described exact coil packs colors and wire bars so Im hopeing praying its the right one, are all the heads the same on these motors??? Also I went to installed the impeller so this might help as well and got the wrong one, the one I needed to order under the houseing, the impeller is in a metal casing..... sooo I located that kit and reordered it today aswell.. Houseing is black with 4 holes for bolts that come from the lower unit and one in the front, well tward the prop. Im thinking I might have a rust or something in the lower unit as I turned the pinion gear shaft it didnt feel smooth or im just low on foot oil. But we'll see

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh and i know it had a f in it and maybe an 8 but cant remember, when I first got the boat to the house I was looking at the tag and saw a few numbers and letters, well thinking some spit and a quick wipe would help. UHT OHH nothing was their but VOID!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Looks like an 89 J

eight tracker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my model tag on my 1985 85hp is right below where the shift cables and fuel line come through the front of the motor on the right side looking from the back of the motor just by the carb air inlet housing

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check the transom mounting bracket, thats where mine is

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The transom mounting bracket says void??? Hmmmm Just hope nothing serious goes wrong w it

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Thats the only place it's gonna be.People try to change the #s and they find when they do it wipes away the print and says VOID!!!! Or it falls off and says VOID.J

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well he numbers that Im finding are Im guessing close theirs about 6 to 10 models with the same water pump. But the funny thing is is theres 3 different models on each model number, a bayliner model a force model and a maxum model on several different models sooo, what the heck is going on with that? Was chrysler really that stupid back then not to have a back up system/tag?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

They were that stupid.Everytime I try to buy an impeller they try to sell me one for a Mercruiser I/O It looks the same just a bit bigger.
Take your old one out and go to a Merc.dealer.J