1973 55 HP Chrysler outboard

SANDY MORENO

Cadet
I need to tune my old motor, but I do not know the steps and specs.
Point gap, timing and spark plug gap.

Can someone help me with this?

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1973 55 HP Chrysler outboard

1. Search a manual and search for good info already listed in this site.

2. Get ready to realize that you have forgotten some things if it has been a while.

3. When did you last tune-up and do you do your yearly chores toward maintenance?

4. I have tuned and maintained yearly on my 1970, 35 HP Chrysler since 1985 with small challenges.

5. Please come back with your specifics (I?ll verify, with my manual to get you on Lake Fork, if needed).

Good Luck,
JOW

SANDY MORENO

Cadet

Thank you for getting back to me. The only thing I've done as far as a tune up, is to change the spark plugs twice a year. It is a good motor and very dependable. But last year the lower unit and its starter went out, so I did not use it much this past year. Since, I've replaced the starter and working on getting the lower unit reverse gear replaced. However, right before it quit on me I noticed it kicked back when I tried to pull start it. I replaced the points long time ago, but I do not remember the gap. I've never set the timing on it neither. So while I'm trying to rebuild it I want to tune it up. But I do not know how to set the timing. Thanks

wickware

Lieutenant

I?ll let the Pros that are more on top of the Chrysler motors jump in or I?ll come back.

1. I feel my 1970, 35HP Chrysler tune-up specs are the same as your 1973, 55 HP Chrysler (I?ll check if needed).

2. I have changed my points, set the new ones w/o a timing issue and changed plugs but I feel type and possibly gap has changed.

3. Sounds like you have a bigger challenge with the Lower Unit? I have replaced the impeller and seals but no gears. How Is your lower unit rebuild coming? What caused your lower unit?s problems?

JOW

SANDY MORENO

Cadet

The work on the lower unit is almost done. That?s the easy part. Since I don?t have a manual, it makes somewhat difficult to know the specs. Besides, I?ve never set the timing on a outboard. So what?s the gap on the points? And how do I set the timing?

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1973 55 HP Chrysler outboard. If the points are set correct is timming needed?

Re: 1973 55 HP Chrysler outboard. If the points are set correct is timming needed?

1. .020 gap on the points. Setting points incorrectly can throw the timing off, ?per Clymer Manual?.

2. Please wait for the Pros variables on setting the timing.

3. My question "to the Pros": If the points are set correct with the correct gap is setting the timing necessary? I have never had a timing issue but have checked my timing using the static method.

4. It was standard to check the timing and advance on older vehicles and easy but I do not see the need on O/B that?s not easy.

JOW

wickware

Lieutenant

Please notice my separate post today on not feeling timing is a big issue if you do not understand the procedures and the points are set correctly. JOW

SANDY MORENO

Cadet

When I got the old grandpa it was not running. There was a couple things wrong: the point's gap were not set right and the Capacitor was out. I bought an automotive capacitor, placed in, gaped the point and old grandpa came alive. It ran for several years, until its lower unit began to fail. I think with this info I will set the gap at.020 and if does not kick me back I?ll be ok with the timing. However, I feel like the other gentleman, the tune up is not complete without checking and resetting the timing. Thanks a bunch, guys!

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1973 55 HP Chrysler outboard, Points, Condenser And Timing.

Re: 1973 55 HP Chrysler outboard, Points, Condenser And Timing.

1. Do you have a good understanding on positioning the cam to set the duel points and the feeling of the gap? Are the points pitted are just dirty (which could cause the kick-back I feel you mentioned? From my reading vs experience the wrong condenser will cause the points to pit/burn prematurely.

2. My point remains, if you are not sure about how to time the engine and it?s not kicking back or backfiring, lack of burst or power and Etc. You might be better off to leave it to the local O/B mechanic. I at least like to read the process and understand it. Then, I want an experienced mechanic that knows the process watch me and verify that I?m doing the process correct ?start to finish?.

3. The timing is 32 Degrees BTDC but I have read 28-32 could perform better. This goes back to my position on setting the timing if you understand the procedure and if it is needed.

4. Could one of our Chrysler Pros refer us to video clips link on setting the points and timing? OR! Make condensed clips and tips and send us the link. Even at a price for the clip if they are not on the market. That would almost be as good as an in person demo. Clymer has graphics and directions but I am not getting that human sight of it being done. Most of all I know there will be the difference of opinions in any operation.

I hope I Have Not Stepped Into Something Deep! JOW

SANDY MORENO

Cadet

Wickware, thank you for your suggestion. Understanding the position of the cam and setting up gap I think I understand it. However, I did not realize that carbon build up can cause an engine to kick back. I've not taken the flywheel off yet, so at this point I don't know the condtions of the points. Also, you're right, I do not feel competent enough to mess with the timing. But since it is an old motor and don't have to have it for my fishing, I don't mind messing with it. I just want to learn more about those old junkers. I like that old motor. It has been very dependable and very solid. I just don't want grandpa to quit breathing because of minor symptoms.!

wickware

Lieutenant

Have Fun! That?s my kind of fund when you are learning with no stress of harming a discarded or spare item.

1. I would think the non-metallic build-up would cause a weak spark or no spark.

2. Pitted/burned points usually have a transfer of metal, which affects the gap and timing that could cause a kickback.

3. Back in the days, 60?s/70?s I had info that showed the affects of wrong or bad condensers pitting points.

4. Other caused of build-up on points could be crankcase blow-by (oil vapor) from wear or excessive oil on cam wick.

5. Since you install a condenser w/o specs, I will be curious to know if your points are pitted vs needing timing.

6. Good luck with pulling the flywheel. I?m sure that has been fun. Please keep me posted ?On All?.

Keep Grand Going! JOW

PS. I've been performing CPR mainly on lawn mowers and cars since 1960 as a hobby and work related.

SANDY MORENO

Cadet

I'll keep you posted. By the way, did I read in someone's note that public libraries keep O/B motor's manual?

wickware

Lieutenant

We have gotten some good Clymer Manuals from the Library here in Fort Worth. Through a Network, some were ordered from Houston. I also ordered a CD off Ebay on Chrysler O/B Motors that is not friendly to find info on. Send me a Private Message of any quick Pics or info you need that I might have that others might not be interested in since most have been posted here before. A search on Wickware or JOW will show most of them. Do you have Pics to post of your motor? If you send a PM (by left clicking Wickware in the upper left corner) you?ll need to notify me of the PM which I hardly use. I have a large collection of Pics of tasks I have challenged on my 35 HP. The manual ref them as the same motors except for piston size. JOW

SANDY MORENO

Cadet

Thanks a bunch!. I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner. But with the remodeling at the house and piddling around with the motor, my time is limited. However, I do need some information from you. Can you find the electrical diagram for that particular motor on your CD. I am having problems delivering power to the starter. I know the starter works well. The solenoid is new and I know it is working. But I need to know what happens when you turn the ignition switch on. On most small engines and O/B motors, when you turn the switch on, the solenoid is energized. This allows the starter to get power when you turn the key to the starter. This is not what is happening in my case. I did notice there is an electronic devise connected to the solenoid, and I don?t know what that part does or what is it for. I?ll try this evening to take some pictures for you and I will send them to you tomorrow. Again, thank you so much for your patience and help.

wickware

Lieutenant

Jumping the gun with a little info I found and problem I had and a troubleshooting tip (before I get on today?s things to do.

1. I shot WD-40 in my ignition to clean the contacts once when my motor w/n crank (after sitting at least a year. Tuner spray might have been better.
2. I knew I had an ignition problem due to:
A. I knew I had my 2 controls in the starting position so the neutral switch would let me start.
B. I could crank the motor by running 12Vs directly from the Battery to the small connector on the starter relay.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=152546&highlight=55+HP+Chrysler+starter+circuit
= 55 Chrysler starter w/n engage.

http://forums.iboats.com/search.php?searchid=6551082 = Other posting found in this sites search.

GOTA RUN!
JOW