James River Catfish

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted to post a few photos of some of the cats we catch....

61.jpg

45hopwll.jpg

574-27.jpg

31.jpg

Qchannel.jpg

1001079k.jpg

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: James River Catfish

There are some big ones in that river.

I grew up in Wmsbg, and sure do miss the area.

FuriousMob

Seaman Apprentice

They are monsters in there now. We've caught a 45 and a 46 at the same time, and also a 52 that same day. The current state record is now over 100lbs! We're taking a Captain Hugh trip on the 30th and hoping we get the one with the shoulders. :D

The channel cat in the Chickahominey have grown as well, and makes for good all-year-round daytime cat fishing.

johnspells

Recruit

It is really a big one, and it looks very cute. I think it is your hobby or passion which lead you to do this. Keep it up. It must take too much time to catch them, It is great work.

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's really not that hard to find big cats in the James. I'm not one of the guys who goes out and literally hunts for them, scrutinizing an expensive depth finder, and jumping from one spot to the next every 15 minutes. I just head out to my favorite few holes and sit on them for hours. I average around 10 cats in the 40lb range a year with a couple bigger and a shload of smaller cats 20lbs and under. The tournament guys around here will land at least 3 times the numbers I do. I'm just lazy I guess. lol. Sold my pontoon I used to fish from last fall, but just bought a 19ft 1977 Blazer dual console with a 155 Johnson to replace it. Not as much room, but a much better fishing boat. Been working on maintenance work and a few motor issues before I get back out on the river full time again.