Bellows treatment

VRG

Cadet
Would it help to treat the bellows from the engine to the outdrive with some type of rubber treatment (similar to the door trim treatment on cars) in order to keep them from cracking or getting brittle?

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bellows treatment

good question...i'd like to know more about this too

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

In a word, no. The best treatment for the bellows is to replace it.

Using any liquids or snake oils in an attempt to extend it's longevity is really asking for trouble considering the damage that happens when you get water intrusion in there and then having it sit during a winter lay-up....

Cheers,

Rick

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

HB I fail to see the logic in that staement! not that I dissagree with it but has it been proven? or is it just your opinion? Do you think a treatment of some kind would jeprodize the integrity of the bellows making it prone to tearing or making it softer?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are no products on the market for protecting marine bellows. Don't forget, they usually gets put in water occasionally, so don't want to use something that could wash off an kill the fish or other marine life, or create a slick and get you a fine.
The bellows are a maintenance item that should be replace every 5 or 6 years or you take a chance of destroying 1000's of bucks worth of parts.
Your choice.

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What about using silicone to protect/condition the bellows? I have used food-grade silicone to lubricate washers in faucets. If silicone (at least food-grade silicone) is safe for drinking water, it ought to be safe for a lake. Any thoughts on using silicone to condition the bellows?

skargo

Banned

Just replace them at their recommended service intervals.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about using silicone to protect/condition the bellows? I have used food-grade silicone to lubricate washers in faucets. If silicone (at least food-grade silicone) is safe for drinking water, it ought to be safe for a lake. Any thoughts on using silicone to condition the bellows?

These is JUST my opinions (no facts to support these thoughts), but I would think that putting any greasy (sticky, whatever) substance would tend to trap dust, dirt, ect. Bellows expand and compress and it would seem that the trapped dirt would have an abrasive effect (and actually do the reverse e from what you are trying to accomplish).

Rubber bellows are not porous so any treatment would only be treating a thin layer on the outside and not the whole bellows (or am I over thinking this???).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Rubber bellows are not porous so any treatment would only be treating a thin layer on the outside and not the whole bellows (or am I over thinking this???).

No, you aren't overthinking it, but there are many that do.
The funny thing is, even with a spray, you can not get to every spot on a bellows. So guess where the cracks and holes will begin.

schankla

Seaman Apprentice

i dont know if it would help the bellows but i bet someone out there is thinking of putting some sort of mystery solution in a can and calling it bellows preserve and making a bunch of money off of it...:eek:

cr2k

Captain

ALL NEW Bellows Treatment, guaranteed not to rust, bust or create dust.

Try it now just $19.95 a bottle. +S&H

But wait there's more.....get a free bellows brush (a 24.95 value), just pay separate shipping and handling.

Now how much would you pay?
Call NOW for free shipping, just pay separate shipping and handling.

Call in the next 12 min. and get a free bottle of prop wash and rudder lube.

Yea I totally got it going here.

fishrdan

Admiral

ALL NEW Bellows Treatment, guaranteed not to rust, bust or create dust.

Try it now just $19.95 a bottle. +S&H

But wait there's more.....get a free bellows brush (a 24.95 value), just pay separate shipping and handling.

Now how much would you pay?
Call NOW for free shipping, just pay separate shipping and handling.

Call in the next 12 min. and get a free bottle of prop wash and rudder lube.

Yea I totally got it going here.

Nooooo, that's not catchy enough...............

It's gotta be something snazzy like DonS Bellow Juice or Bondo's Bellow Grease,,,, fishrdan's Bellow Ointment, cr2K's Bellow Mariade?

Change the name and you have a winner!

(Test product compatibility in an inconspicuous area. Do not expose the following items to product; nonferrous metal, paint, fiberglass, gelcoat, organic matter. Highly corrosive when exposed to water, keep container tightly sealed when not in use. Could cause headaches toothaches, neckaches, backaches, buttaches, hair-loss, infertility, constipation, diarrhea, short term memory-loss, constipation, diarrhea)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

[(Test product compatibility in an inconspicuous area. Do not expose the following items to product; nonferrous metal, paint, fiberglass, gelcoat, organic matter. Highly corrosive when exposed to water, keep container tightly sealed when not in use. Could cause headaches toothaches, neckaches, backaches, buttaches, hair-loss, infertility, constipation, diarrhea, short term memory-loss, constipation, diarrhea)

love it... :D:D:D

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps the best way is to lower the outdrive during inactive periods of use and winter storage.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Perhaps the best way is to lower the outdrive during inactive periods of use and winter storage.

You don't mean..... like it says in the owners handbook, do you?

jkust

Rear Admiral

Boating magazine this month has a how-to article on replacing a bellows. Their take is that you can't treat them but just need to replace them at the correct interval.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

LOL!!!

Need a Canadian distributor for the new wonder treatment??!!