NH boat law?

this forum wont let me

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone, I have a New Hampshire boater's guide in front of me and I am blown away with what I just read in it. I have been boating for a about 5 years now and every year I get this booklet just to keep up on my boating rules. Well Here in the book word for word. Who may operate a vessel? A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a "ski craft") may be operated by

* A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid safe boater education certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during the operation of the vessel

*A person 16 years of age or older only if he or she has obtained a safe boater education certificate as required by the "Schedule for Boater Education"

Well yes I have my certificate for me as does my wife but why in the world would it be ok to let my nephew 14yrs old to drive my boat with me in it but not ok for my brother in law to drive the boat with me it? I just asked this question to my headquarter marine patrol and they just said to me the rules are the rules so my replay was great state slogan "LIVE FREE OR DIE" click... Now I must remind you folks not from around here come ride your motorcycle in our state you don't need your helmet if you don't want to. Just in case your thirsty on your ride home feel free to stop at one of rest areas that has a full liquor store in it. Everyone of age has the right to bare arms. But make sure if you are over 16 and want to drive a boat over 25 horse power you get your certificate even when a certificate holding adult is on board. Sorry for the bad gramer New Hampshire let me drop out of high SKOOL at a early age. Happy boating to all and to all a good day.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: NH boat law?

Makes sense to me.

You can let the minor drive under your supervision as long as you assume rersponsibility for him.

They won't hold you responsible for an adult. He has to assume responsibility for himself. Why not, he's an adult!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Haha. Your point of this post took me a bit to sink in, but that is one stupid law. You can be responsible for a 5 year old but not a 16 y/o. Welcome to NH, the irony state.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now I must remind you folks not from around here come ride your motorcycle in our state you don't need your helmet if you don't want to. Just in case your thirsty on your ride home feel free to stop at one of rest areas that has a full liquor store in it. Everyone of age has the right to bare arms.

I'm moving to NH:D

this forum wont let me

Seaman Apprentice

Hey on a more positive note if you want to hear a great parody song of Jay Z song New York state of mind go on you tube and search the Granite State of mind it is so true of my great state.

gonefishie

Commander

But, the good thing is that it basically required a license to drive a boat. This should be a nationwide law cuz there are way way too many ignorance drivers out there. Just like driving a car, it is a priviledge not a right.

this forum wont let me

Seaman Apprentice

I do agree it is a good thing to require a license to drive a boat it has taken a lot of the YAHOO'S off the lake's not all but some. They can still rent boats that have a motor smaller then 25 horse without a license and yet to my amazement they still cause havoc at times. But I have calmed down from the first post but still what a crazy law.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

But, the good thing is that it basically required a license to drive a boat. This should be a nationwide law cuz there are way way too many ignorance drivers out there. Just like driving a car, it is a priviledge not a right.
there is no nationwide license to drive a car so why would there be for watercraft?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

True there is no nation wide license to drive a car, but there are no states that will let you drive without one from SOME state.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

The intent of the law is to force people to get certified to operate a boat. If all it took was one certified operator to be aboard for anyone to operate the boat, there would be a lot less incentive to get certified. Having boated in NH for years, I like the fact that people must get certified to be legal. There's a lot of captain boneheads out there.

The other intent was to still allow people that are too young to be certified to drive the boat with supervision.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Driving a car is regulated by the states. There is no federal law.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Makes sense to me.

You can let the minor drive under your supervision as long as you assume rersponsibility for him.

They won't hold you responsible for an adult. He has to assume responsibility for himself. Why not, he's an adult!

Yes, that is exactly right. I think it is actually a good idea to force people to get their license. It makes them study and learn something that might protect them or others. Too many tourist cowboys out there.

In general, NH is getting stricter and stricter with boating laws.

My personal favorite is the following:

-It is against the law to anchor your boat overnight on any inland surface waters of the State of New Hampshire. Overnight is defined as "the period of time between the termination of daylight in the evening to the earliest dawn of the next morning."

-A houseboat defined as "ship, boat, raft, float, catamaran, or marine craft of any description which has sleeping and toilet facilities, regardless of whether such facilities are of a permanent or temporary nature." Occupied or unoccupied houseboats may be beached or grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or permitted by the owner. Also, the owner, lessee, or person with permission of the owner must give written notice of this fact promptly to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services.