Need portable speakers

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I'm looking for something to bring down to the dock and plug my non-ipod mp3 player into. basically either straight battery powered speakers or some battery powered boombox, though really all i need is the mp3 input. i'd like something that has a bit of thump to it. any suggestions?

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need portable speakers

What kind of $$ are you looking to spend. For under $100 you could buy some computer speakers w/ subwoofer. If you want some real power, look into a set of self powered PA speakers. You can get a set with a small mixer built in that will allow you to hook-up your mp3, mic, guitar, etc. But this will run $500 or so.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

less than $500. maybe $1-200. computer speakers would be too hard to move (too many componants/wires) and aren't battery powered (are they?).

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I didn't read your original post close enough. All of the self-powered PA's will require electric. But that's ok, since you want to stay in a lower price bracket.

There are several small speakers that would be battery powered. I am listening to some from Radioshack right now. I also have a pair from Koss at home. The problem that you are going to have with battery powered speakers is that to produce a large amount of sound, it takes a large amount of power. Typically, I don't think that battery powered speakers can produce that (or at least not for very long). You could look into a boombox that has an input jack, but the speakers tend to be small as well.

Does the dock have electricity? If so, that opens up a whole new arena that you can look into.

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 400W inverter and use my 5.1with sub computer speakers on the boat.

nola mike

Vice Admiral