gear selection problems???help!!!!!!

robfylan

Recruit
hello all, i require some technical advice on my 1979 johnson outboard engine.
when i have it running its a bit lumpy being that shes a bit tired and does tick over too high. the main problem i`m encountering is that when you push or pull the gearselection handle to go into a gear you get a loud clicking noise which transmits upto the gear selection lever and when it goes into gear, albeit with a bit of force it just bogs right down and cuts out. i ran it up in a barrell with no prop fitted and it doesnt do it then. I checked the condition of the gear oil and its clean oil and hasnt had any water contamination.
how exactly does the gear selection work? :confused::mad:any help greatfully received.
cheers......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: gear selection problems???help!!!!!!

Gear selection doesn't involve shifting any gears but rather moving what are called "clutch dogs". Look at them like two jar lids with a rectangular notch cut out of one and a matching tab on the other. Facing these two lids toward each other constitutes a clutch dog. When the shift lever moves, one lid moves toward the other and the mating notch and tab grab each other. The clicking you hear is that engagement occuring. The trick is to NOT slowly move the lever but rather move it in one quick motion to select forward or reverse. Continually allowing that clicking to occur means the clutch dogs are ratcheting past each other until they finally grab. The quick motion selects direction immediately although you might feel and hear a slight clunk which is perfectly normal. You should never try to select forward or reverse unless the engine is running or someone is spinning the prop manually.