Maybe we can learn something

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer
LAKE WYLIE -- Dean Stroud will be remembered for his love of life. He was always up for a new adventure and claimed he was one of the best HALO video game players around. <br /><br />Stroud, 13, died Saturday after swimming behind his family houseboat at Long Cove Marina & Yacht Club. His family had moved the boat from Lake Norman to Lake Wylie earlier that day and his father was connecting the boat to the dock when Stroud was electrocuted.<br /><br />The teen was climbing the ladder of the boat at the same time his father was hooking up electricity, said Officer Tom Gwaltney of Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department's Lake Patrol.<br /><br />"Once the the power came on, the teen just got the full jolt and went underwater," said Gwaltney, adding the ladder became the equivalent to a lightening rod providing a shock powerful enough to kill Stroud. "It was a pure accident."<br />The best way to prevent electric shock is to have a professional electrician do all on-water electricity work. Also, he says boat owners should ensure all lines are kept dry and that the entire electrical system is up to code.<br /><br />According to information from Sunstar Houseboats, a longtime builder and distributor of houseboats, each year swimmers, boaters and people in marinas are injured or killed by electrical accidents. Most of these incidents occur because of wiring problems, component failures or the use of improper equipment. Virtually all of these types of accidents are avoidable, the company's web site says (www.sunstarhouseboats.com/safety).<br /><br />The web site suggests having a qualified marina electrician check over the boat at least once a year to verify the system is up to code and working properly.<br /><br />Below are a few other tips provided from Sunstar to prevent electrical accidents:<br /><br />• Never swim in a marina or in other areas where boats are connected to shorepower<br /><br />• Never alter shorepower connectors<br /><br />• Ensure that shorepower cords and adapters are in good condition. If in doubt, replace them or have them repaired by a qualified marine electrician.<br /><br />• Use only factory assembled adapters or shorepower cords.<br /><br />• Always wear rubber soled shoes when handling electrical equipment. Avoid touching other metallic objects when working with cords.<br /><br />• If a boat inspection or repair requires a person to be in the water, disconnect the boat and all nearby boats from shorepower.<br /><br />• In the event of an in-water electrical accident, turn off the power to all boats in the area immediately.

salty87

Commander
Re: Maybe we can learn something

that is horrible. never having dealt with this, i guess the wiring on the boat was faulty? bad ground?

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is terrible. :( <br /><br />I remember when I was 13 and all the things that I had to look forward to...Lots of "firsts" around that age +/- a few years. Sad. I can only imagine how the poor father must have felt.<br /><br />My heart goes out to the family.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

This reminds me of something I heard on the news or in a magizine or something a long time ago. Something about you can be swimming in the middle of a lake next to your boat and the boat can give off an electrical field or something that will cause your muscles to spasm and you will sink almost like getting a really bad cramp. Anyone heard anything like this before? Is this even possible?

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

what probaly happened was that the lad created a circuit between two different ground potentials allowing for a current flow. and he was the fuse.<br /> an example would be if you have multi grounds in your stereo it may hum. thus you shouldn't rely on chasis ground in audio/or data applications. at the marina you have the feed grounded to earth and a fault that grounds the chasis of the boat. then along come a body and creates a circuit between the two grounds of different potential.<br /> same pricipal apply to a grounded car with electrical wires at a accident site, or even leanning on a utility pole that is hot.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Is it true that you could hang from a an uninsulated hot power line by one hand without getting shocked, as long as your feet don't touch the ground and you don't grab it with both hands?

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, and both arms would be OK too...birds do it all the time :) .

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

What tragedy, how sad for the family especially the father,the grief and torment has to be a tremendous burden for him :(