Are Chrysler/Force small motors junk?

Tronald

Seaman
I have the opportunity to purchase a 7.5 Chrysler (70's vintage) and a Force 15 (80's vintage) and they look to be in good condition. Most people that I talk to say that these motors are really bad. Is this true? Did they make some things that were good and some bad and the bad ones just earned them a reputation? What should I look for on these motors??

Thanks in advance!

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Are Chrysler/Force small motors junk?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 7.5 Chrysler (70's vintage) and a Force 15 (80's vintage) and they look to be in good condition. Most people that I talk to say that these motors are really bad. Is this true? Did they make some things that were good and some bad and the bad ones just earned them a reputation? What should I look for on these motors??

Thanks in advance!

There is much debate on this very issue on this board. I ran a Chrysler for many years with very few problems. I thought it was a reliable motor. However, like any mechanical device they require maintenance. If what you are buying has good compression and appears to be well maintained you should get good service out of them.

From what I gather the Chrysler's and Force motors were usually put on entry level boats sold to many first time boaters. Those first timers usually lacked the maintenance experience and often did not have the $$ to have them professionally maintained. As a result of making a boat payment instead of putting the money into maintenance, quite a few motors developed "problems". A new impeller, clean fuel & carbs, new fuel pump diaphrams, clean electric contacts made these motors VERY reliable.

I found my Chrysler to be reliable, a strong runner, and easy to work on when it did need maintenance. The drawbacks are, they smoke a bit over other brands, a little cold blooded, and since they are no longer manufactured parts will be harder to get in the future. Parts are still pretty plentiful, but who knows what the parts situation will look like in the future.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

almost impossible to locate parts like impellers, for these motors under 20 hp, and older than 1985.

hunterope

Seaman

I have a 1988 15 HP Game fisher (force). I found all the parts I needed (fuel pump, impeller, carb kit, etc) for general self maint.... However, I did purchase extra's so that I can be my own supplier of needed parts in the future. They were cheap enough right here on Iboats. If the motors look to be in good shape (prop, inside the cover, paint, etc) then you should be getting a decent motor(s). However with that said, I wouldn't be spending a fortune on them initially. I paid under 250 for my 15 and it was in pristine condition. I think you will find a common theme with this pricing of a used motor - Search the forum here. You'll see what I'm talking about. I would pass on the 7.5 myself as it's not like the mercs where you can still get most parts you need either here or on the net. My 15's never let me down and I've had it for 3 years now. Pushes a 14 foot Seaking at about 10 MPH. Wish it had more speed, but I'm happy over all with my motor. If I were looking for a new used motor, I'd opt for a merc, or a Johnson in the 90's myself.
PS: mine is a fuel pig.. Loves gas allot but then again, I run it wide open most of the time.