Fuel tank vent

chenta

Cadet
Should I be able to smell fuel from the fuel tank vent on my lowe v1940,... cause I don't. Does a system that has a filler hose separate from the vent hose have a one way check valve in the vent. I seem to have a oder of fuel in the front compartment that is used for the anchor. It's labled not for storage of combustable material but it has been used by someone for that I think. I put a inline water seperator in this boat but last time out both of my motors had running issues. Will check new filter and pull the pickup tube. The boat is a 1990 model with a fiberglass tank. I have had the inspection covers off and really don't see any problems like a kinked hose, fuel leaks. Each time I put the boat in the river I check the bilge area for debris trying to keep the bilge pump clear and check for the smell of fuel on anything that I might find.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Fuel tank vent

...with a fiberglass tank.

This would concern me - depending on what resin was used to make the tank, your fuel could be disolving it.

chenta

Cadet
Re: Fuel tank vent

What would the fuel look like when I dump the filter to inspect for contamination, also would it be better to have the primer bulb between the tank and the filter or should I leave it between the filter and the boat motors