How to test if battery is being charged?

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 86 evinrude 90hp VRO and I'm a bit skeptical as to whether or not my battery is being charged. I tend to go out at about 13 volts and come home with about 11v. I have a gel cell optimax blue top marine battery that was installed last year.

Is there an easy way to test this? can it be as simple as unhooking the battery terminals while the engine is running and testing for a current? if not, where would the test points be? I'm assuming somewhere on the voltage regulator/rectifier. The stator looks like it has been replaced somewhat recently.

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to test if battery is being charged?

unhooking terminals while running is a good way to blow your stator. that a reading between battery post, before starting, the while running atleast 1/2 throttle take another reading.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Put a volt meter across the battery post's, and note the reading with the engine off. Start the engine, and see if you get a voltage rise. This can take a fair amount of engine speed to take the charge rate up. This is a rather crude test. It will tell if you are getting a charge, but not how much.

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice

Ok - Thank you both! I do notice that on the boats volt meter (very crude) it does not look like the voltage goes up any when running the boat. I will sea test this with a digital meter right off the battery tomorrow night. If it's not getting a charge, or much of one, would it be the voltage regulator or stator that is bad?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

With a fully charged battery, you should be seeing about 14.5 volts if the motor has a regulator. It can go as high as 16 volts on an unregulated system. You say yours goes down to 11 volts? Either it isn't charging, or you are pulling more juice out of it than you are putting back in. I'd say it isn't working.

The dash mounted gauge should be plenty good enough to tell if it is charging.

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice

yea it's not working.... err, where should i start?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Clean up all terminations (+ and -) first and recheck. Then check for AC voltage >25VAC across the yellows to the rectifier. If low or no voltage, stator is bad for sure, There are also resistance checks (see shop manual) for the stator and diode checks for the rectifier.

Do NOT run motor without battery properly connected.

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice

So they yellows right out from under the flywheel?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It would help to know what motor you have. Does it have power trim & tilt? They have a regulated system. Non-PTT motors have unregulated systems.

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, it has both power trim and tilt - the motor is a 1986 90hp VRO (E90TLCDC)

ALSO - The tach is not working either......

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same exact motor as mine and I'm wondering if mine is charging. With the motor at around 900 rpm's I am getting 12.65 volts at the battery. Do I need to check it at about half throttle? With the engine off if I use the pt&t you see the voltage drop but than it comes right back up. Not sure if I have a problem.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Just fast idle the motor (1200 RPM) with little electrical load. If the voltage across the battery terminals doesn't get to ~ 13 VDC or more, it's not charging. Non-working tach usually means the rectifier and/or stator is bad. You need to test.

An OEM shop manual might be useful here ...

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice

well i can get the rectifier right through Evinrude for $50, Would that be a good place to start? it looks like the stator has been replaced on my engine somewhat recently as the wires look newer than anything else on the engine! If the stator was bad, wouldn't that prevent the engine from running?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

A bad stator would not prevent the engine from running. There are simple checks with the ohm meter to check whether the diodes in the rectifier are bad. I'd do that before just replacing. Fixing by replacing parts without diagnosing can get very expensive, especially when you find the cause to be a bit of damaged wire insulation, bad ground, etc. and that no parts are needed at all. An OEM shop manual, again, can be your best friend.

BTW, it's very easy to check the stator for AC output. If it's present, the possibilities are then few, and usually a bad rectifier.

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,

I found the following resource for testing the stator - If I'm understanding correctly, I'm looking for 450-600 ohms by testing the brown to the brown/yellow wire. Does the engine have to be running for this test?

specs found here for 90hp

http://www.outboardignition.com/page40.asp

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Never running for resistance measurements.

Now measure across the yellows on AC voltage scale with engine running at a fast idle. If you get > 20VAC, the rectifier is bad.

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice

well I think I've found the 2 yellow wires going to the "main terminal" but where on earth is the rectifier? please don't tell me it's in that box under the stern side of the flywheel...

From what I can tell, that is what it is... Looks like the water cooled regulator/rectifier and the flywheel will have to be pulled to get to it. My next question is, is there a 3 wire rectifier in that box, or do I have to replace the whole thing @ $300?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Look at the parts list on the BRP Evinrude website if you're not sure what you're looking at. Rectifier/regulators are typically water cooled and you replace the whole thing along with the gasket. I'm not sure if the flywheel on your motor must be pulled or not (an OEM shop manual would help). Most motors that's not the case.

gfuller40

Seaman Apprentice

ok - the breakdown image on parts.evinrude.com shows both the big water cooled regulator as well as the little rectifier, i'm assuming the smaller rectifier is for the models without power trim/tilt.

Jet Star

Seaman

not sure how many or what color wires you have on your reg/rec and stator but i just went through all this on my motorcycle and here is some info that hellped me on testing these units which i believe should operate the same way on an outboard charging sytem the voltage and ohms reding may be different though but should give you a good idea how to test and what you are looking for

TESTING THE REGULATOR/ RECTIFIER UNIT
DIODES
The unit contains a set of 6 diodes. These are what we are going to test first. Diodes are like one way check valves for electricity. It will only allow the current to move in one direction. This is how it transforms ac voltage into dc voltage. The particulars of that do not matter to us though.
Set the meter to measure ohms. Place the red lead from the meter on the first stator lead (s1) and the black lead on the BCL. You should get a reading. Record it. Move the red lead to the second stator lead (s2) and keep the black on the bcl. Again , you should get a reading. Do the same with s3. All three of the readings should be very close. The actual value is going to depend on which init you have. Reverse the red and black leads and do the same three tests again. You should get OL or no reading on all three. If you do get a reading then the diode is bad. Therefore the whole unit is bad.
To test the ground side diodes, place the red lead on the ground wire and the black on s1, s2, and s3 respectively. You should once again get a reading on all three, and the readings should be close together. Reverse the red and black leads and repeat the test and all three should be OL or have no reading. Again, if you get a resistance, then there is continuity where there should not be and the unit is bad. I usually make a little chart

TESTING THE STATOR

The stator is an AC producing coil. It can and should be tested in three ways. They are resistance, output, and insulation breakdown.
RESISTANCE
Disconnect the three yellow wires coming from the stator. (If you are still using the stock plug, double check the wiring and terminals. These have been known to get hot then get brittle and the insulation starts to chip leading to a short.) We are going to call these three stator wires s1, s2, and s3. It does not matter which one is which. Set the multimeter to read ohms. Use one end of the meter on s1 and the other on s2. Record your reading. Do the same thing between s1 and s3, and then s2 and s3. You want to get a reading of very close to .2 ohms. Much higher and there is likely a partial break in the wires. The stator is going or is already bad. No reading or an open line between any two leads would indicate a complete break in the wires and the stator is bad.
OUTPUT
To test the output off the stator, we are going to leave the three yellow wires disconnected. The meter is going to be set to volts AC. Use the red probe of the meter on one of the yellow leads. The black probe of the meter is going to go to ground. Start the engine and watch the meter. It should read about 14-18 Vac. This number will increase significantly with the engines rpms. It should rise to 50-60 volts depending on rpms. Repeat this process with each of the yellow leads. In effect we are going to do three tests. If any of the leads do not put out enough AC voltage, then the coil is bad. Replace the stator.
INSULATION BREAKDOWN
To check for insulation breakdown, we are going to set the meter to measure ohms. You can use the continuity setting if your meter has it. Use one probe of the meter on one of the three yellow leads from the stator. The other meter probe goes to ground. If the stator is out of the bike, then this lead would go the metal core of the stator. The meter should read OL or open line, or show no continuity depending on the meter. If it does give a reading, then the coil is shorting to ground and the stator is bad. Repeat this for each off the yellow wires. If any one is bad, the entire unit needs to be replaced.