water dripping out of new shift cable

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced the impellar, housing (top and bottom) new shift cable, reassembled and tested with muffs on,
all good runs fine in and out of gear perfect, just about to relax when i saw that i have a drip of water coming from the end of the drive shift cable, steady drip,
What have i done? how have i got water under pressure into the shift slide chamber?
I also noticed that i now have a steady stream of water coming out of the little drain hole on the the lower, not sure if its done that before, can anyone confirm?
thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: water dripping out of new shift cable

most likly spot for the cable issues are going to be the transfer oring on the port side of the gimbal housing or the upper shift shaft seals on the gimbal housing are leaking.
did you inspect the shaft seals in the ex cavity?

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

most likly spot for the cable issues are going to be the transfer oring on the port side of the gimbal housing or the upper shift shaft seals on the gimbal housing are leaking.
did you inspect the shaft seals in the ex cavity?

do you mean at the top of the exhaust cavity? there is a bronze or brass bush that hangs down about an inch, presumably this holds the seal, not sure how to check the seal without removing the whole thing? there doesnt seem to be a seal at the bottom of the shift shaft?

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also noticed that i now have a steady stream of water coming out of the little drain hole on the the lower housing, not sure if its done that before, can anyone confirm?
thanks[/QUOTE]

zbnutcase

Commander

The water in the exhaust will NEVER build enough pressure to come up the cable. However, if the water pump passage o-ring is missing, pressurized water will come up the cable. Have accidently done it myself once.

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The water in the exhaust will NEVER build enough pressure to come up the cable. However, if the water pump passage o-ring is missing, pressurized water will come up the cable. Have accidently done it myself once.

Just got the drive off, very carefully and the new O ring is in place, gasket faces are clean, bolts were tight, now I am baffeled?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

What drive are we working on here?

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alpha 1 R, I took it off and put it all back together,i used bellows adheshive on the O ring to keep it in place, seems ok now , will run it up again in the morning, is it possible that the mains water pressure from the hose could be too much, especially with the new impeller? thanks for your time

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also noticed that i now have a steady stream of water coming out of the little drain hole on the the lower housing, not sure if its done that before, can anyone confirm?
thanks
[/QUOTE]

yes or no will do lads?

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

nEVER RUN AT FULL CITY PRESSUR MERCRUISER EVEN SAYS SO.
dAM CAP LOCKS IS ON ,TO LATE TO RETYPE.

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so with the muffs on and the engine running, should there be water running from the lower gear case drain hole?