135 evinrude has spark won't start? & What Year

4barrel

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up a boat in Jan. took a chance that it ran, and "the guy said it did"....
135 evinrude power trim! Can't seem to get it fired up, put new plugs in checked spark by grounding plug and cranking. Got spark on all 4 cyl. Noticed that the heads are marked in ink 135 & 140 140 & 135, my guess was someone recently did a comp check.
I checked them cold and all are at/around 120. My tester may have a small leak @ head fitting but 120 still seems ok....ish.
Once I figured out that the elec. choke was push key in, thought I had it aced...
NOPE... I did notice that when I choked it & cranked for a bit fuel seeped out the front of carbs.
Even went as far as quick start, (I try not to use on "pre mixed" 2 strokes but desprite times)
Not even a fart/cough. Makes me think stuck needle/floats,??
Should I order carb kits?
For the record, Model # is 135383m Serial # is C 94125
If anyone can identify year of this beast I would love to know

honald112

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 135 evinrude has spark won't start? & What Year

You have a 1973. Start with a good battery, the engine needs to spin about 350 rpms to generate spark. Id throw some new plugs in there, change the gear oil in the lower unit and also a water pump. Would also do the carb rebuild as well. When you are cranking it, take your silencer cover off the carbs and make sure the butterflies are closed all the way. The need to be 100% closed or it will not create enough vacuum. Make sure you have fresh gas. I would also recommend getting an owners manual. Try not to use quick start, it burns too hot and has no oil in it so you are not lubricating anything.

honald112

Seaman Apprentice

Im sorry I just looked at your post again. Since you do have spark, get a spark tester. Make sure its blue and should jump 3/8 of an inch. The big thing is those butterflies are 100% shut when you apply the choke.

4barrel

Seaman Apprentice

checked with a spark tester, all seems well, the one marked 1 on coil in ink was only one I thought was "weaker".
If I am looking at motor from back of boat the top right cyl is 1, then top left is 2, bottom right is 3, bottom left is 4..
I will do a water pump and change oil, but at the moment I need this boat or my other one ready for 2nd week in may. Other one runs/ran great last summer but this one has trolling motor ect.
This motor spins like a tazmainian devil and also have the charger on batt, to keep topped up while cranking.
I know to stay away from quick start cause of no oil intake, I ONLY do it if I oil cyl's first.
But I never really found a motor with comp. & spark to not even fart once.
I even dribbled bit of gas in carb but nothing...
I'm concerned now that I see "fresh ink" markings as if someone was trying to chase down something recently.
I am a experienced 2 stroke nut, but sometimes outboards make me nervous,
I find alot of my toys I buy not running cause I can afford that... 90 % time it is a float valve. Or dirty carb, Bad Gas, Poor grade fuel with ethonal is crap but common here.

Could Powerhead be damaged? that would show on a comp test ?

honald112

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, you would see it in the comp. test. I really think you should try the carb rebuild and some fresh gas. Have you checked your fuel filter...

4barrel

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I checked the filter @ the pump, screen is brand new!!!
So I rebuilt carbs, Fresh high octane / no ethenol gas ......tried to start and not even a fart !
going to recheck spark tonight in dark.
Can spark come and go, while testing? What would cause that? A bad module?
I have compression and the carb bowls definitly filling up with fuel. and primer bulb gets hard stays fairly firm.
Choke butterflys are closed 100 % all the way when activated.
New battery, with charger on it.
New plugs to.

6hpboat

Banned

Could be a bad trigger plate.

ohm meter when spark stops and see if it flat lines.

4barrel

Seaman Apprentice

You mean to use a Ohm meter on spark plug wire & crank?
how would one correctly check to coils?
I always just used a known good plug or tester, but did think that #1 had a weak spark when I checked before.

4barrel

Seaman Apprentice

Ok now I'm concerned!!! No spark at all on all four cyl.
Can I test the powerpack by testing wires going to coils for some kinda power or pulse?
I think the title of this thread is no longer going to bring all possible info my way, so will start a post after searching for abit here.