alcohol stove????!!!!!

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went to try out the alcohol stove on my newly purchased boat. After filling it and pressurizing it I turned on the burners and raw fuel comes out and puddles in the burners. I have looked on the net for kits but have not had any luck. Does anyone here have any ideas for me?

Thanks
Pete

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: alcohol stove????!!!!!

The thing with alcohol stoves is you have to pre heat the burner, pump it up, release a small amount of the alcohol, turn off, carefully light (have the fire extinguisher close), it should burn for not more than 30-45 seconds, open up the valve slowly, and you should have a flaming burner (it has to be really hot when you preheat it).
NOTE!!!- if the rubber seals have deteriated it will start to flash on you (spitting out lots of raw alcohol), turn it off.
At this time I am trying to replace ours with a small two burner propane style like in a camper, but I really prefer to cook outside of the cabin.

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow thanks for the info I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. This my first boat large enough to be able to cook on. What is your reason for not liking to cook in the cabin? Smell? Safety?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

wow thanks for the info I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. This my first boat large enough to be able to cook on. What is your reason for not liking to cook in the cabin? Smell? Safety?

Smell is a big one, any condinsation, or smoke is hard to get out at times.
you may want to look at a coffee pot (drip), toaster,and microwave for the cabin if you have AC and a BBQ off the back of the boat.
But yes I would still like a 2 burner stove anyways. :)

Oh and remember about the co2 factor and flame eats alot of air in an inclosed space!!!!!