Gasket maker?

Bass_boy7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys I have a 1970 evinrude 33 and just finished fixing the bottom end of my gear case and I believe the previous owner didn't properly drain the oil each season bc once I put it back together it began to drip out of the bottom of my case where the allen key bolts go into the foot as well as around the actualy bottom piece. So I figurd water was in there froze and expanded the bottom of the case, this motor being so old Im not going to throw alot of money at it just wondering which gasket maker you would recommend to seal the bottom end up so I can use it.

fireman57

Captain
Re: Gasket maker?

You can get those gaskets cheap from a dealer. Unless your lower unit is cracked from ice it should seal it fine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did you use a new spaghetti seal? in the joint?

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My book says along with the spaghetti seal you should put some silicone in each bolt hole before inserting the bolts.

Bass_boy7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, so far i have done those two steps, so now were waiting for it to make sure it made a good seal and will fill it up to see if it has fixed the leak, otherwise the foot has to come off and the shaft seal could be the next culpret.