help!did i get ripped off?

eastwood

Cadet
i just bought a 1974 6hp evinrude off craigslist.
it wont pump no water out of the water outlet and it feels like exaust is coming out of it.
he said it was a good motor.

should i see water right after i start it.

fireman57

Captain
Re: help!did i get ripped off?

It takes a good twenty to thirty seconds sometimes to see water come out. It feels like a long time but it takes a little while to fill the engine. If I remember that engine just has the two upper weep holes instead of a telltale. If you are running it in a barrel you will see mist come out at idle IF you have it deep enough. Take the cover off and start it. Let it run for a minute or so and see if you can keep a couple of fingers on the head for a long three count.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Also, no matter how old, who said what, its a good idea to change the water pump impeller regardless... you have no idea how long it sat, or when it was changed last, if it was installed with the splines the right direction, etc.

They are cheap enough, and easy enough to do for the piece of mind... so, if the motor runs (even if it doesnt pump water), i dont think you got "ripped off"... (dont know what you paid for it though ;) ) hehe

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

leg must have water 1/2 way up.
agree with water pump service, when ever you buy one.

eastwood

Cadet

sorry i didnt clarify.
i did run it a good couple minutes.it seemed really hot.3 count would burn.

i had the water up to the fin above the water inlet.

the guy said the water pump was just replaced.
the motor was painted really recently.and i could see gasket maker behind the carb.

the guy was selling two motors at the same time.he said that another guy came and got the other motor and offered him 600 for both.but he told him no because i called first.he said that guy did a compression test on both motors.

this is the same motor as mine.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boz65jDewR4

eastwood

Cadet

another thing.i dont want to tear it apart if its meesed up because i want my money back.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

sorry i didnt clarify.
i did run it a good couple minutes.it seemed really hot.3 count would burn.

the guy said the water pump was just replaced.
the motor was painted really recently.and i could see gasket maker behind the carb.

the guy was selling two motors at the same time.he said that another guy came and got the other motor and offered him 600 for both.but he told him no because i called first.he said that guy did a compression test on both motors.

this is the same motor as mine.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boz65jDewR4

Based on what you have described, it sounds like something was mucked up during the water pump install... as mentioned, you should see "something" coming out of the holes ( mist, water, etc,) after 30 secs or so, if you cant touch the head, then its definitely not cooling properly...

I would talk to the person who sold it to you, and test run it in a tank together, and if it doesnt work, see if he will either get it fixed, or at least buy you a new kit to install... (if he is absolutely sure its brand new, then I would check to see if it wasnt installed backwards... they will pump that way, but not very well at all).

Its also possible it was installed and run "dry" initially (installed without a lube and ran without water) which stripped the splines off the impeller... you need to start there.

If its installed correctly, then you need to check for blockage in the tube running up into the bottom of the motor.

Not sure what else to tell you, they are pretty simple systems.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Try it again as recommended above. If still hot replace the impeller - < $10.00.

Those are great engines.

And next time you buy something take what the seller says with a grain of salt. There are hundreds of posts here that go "The seller said it ran fine last time he ran it." Then the tale of woe begins.

fireman57

Captain

You must be in the Ohio Valley/midwest because I think I saw the engines that you are talking about on c-list.

wbeaton

Commander

That's not deep enough. The water pump is located well above that "fin" AKA anti-cavitation plate. Water should completely cover that round bump halfway up the motor.

There is no telltale on that motor. Water should come out pretty much immediately out the hole in the back with the exhaust. Get it deeper and try again. You really should change the impeller now that you've run it dry.

eastwood

Cadet

You must be in the Ohio Valley/midwest because I think I saw the engines that you are talking about on c-list.
no sir.im in west central florida
That's not deep enough. The water pump is located well above that "fin" AKA anti-cavitation plate. Water should completely cover that round bump halfway up the motor.

There is no telltale on that motor. Water should come out pretty much immediately out the hole in the back with the exhaust. Get it deeper and try again. You really should change the impeller now that you've run it dry.

the motor in the video i posted is pumping with water in the same spot i had mine.

i took the thermostat cap off last night and there isnt one in it.?

i noticed last night why he painted it.when i tryed to tilt the motor up,it wouldnt go so i started looking an noticed that the bar that it pivots on is CORRODED.

i went back to his house this morning and he said he would have the guy/kid who he just paid a hundered bucks to fix it up,get it right.
i asked about my money back and he said he had no cash on him untill the wife gets home.

so i told him,i would like to have the motor cause it runs good if he can get it pumping water,so i left it there and will call tomorrow.
i dont think the guy is to hard up for cash so im not to worried right now.knock on wood!

when i pick it up again,im running it there!for a few minutes.then turning it off and let it sit a minute.crank it back up and see if it pumps.

what do you all think?

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class

it could be an honest mistake, and they guy probably dosn't know any better. But i give you credit for leaving the motor and the money with the guy. Lets hope he dosn't forget who you are when you show up again.

eastwood

Cadet

But i give you credit for leaving the motor and the money with the guy. Lets hope he dosn't forget who you are when you show up again.

normally i wouldnt do that but he seems like a guy who has a lot to loose.;)

plus,now that he has both its a good reason to call the cops if i have any further problems.

eastwood

Cadet

well he called back and said it was fixed so ill go see.
ill let you guys know.

wbeaton

Commander

the motor in the video i posted is pumping with water in the same spot i had mine.

That's still too low. If you look close you will see the motor in the video wasn't pumping well at first either. It didn't really start pumping until the water started splashing. Those pumps can't suck up water. It needs to be submerged. The impeller is located in the bulge you see just above the water line. Try it deeper when you get it back.

eastwood

Cadet

still nothing.just spent another 10 bucks in gas going to get it.
we put it in a bucket and nothing.asked for my money back and he said he made his truck payment with it.i explained how poor i am and how i asked him not to fuc me.
he was like your making me feel bad.i was like you should.
i mean i borrowed some of the money to get the motor now i look foolish.
this ******* lives in a 180000 house and hes ripping off a guy who is basically already on the bottom.
im depressed now.im 33 and should of known better,but i just lost all faith in everyone.the guy is not from the states originaly.after he said he felt bad,he said he didnt move to this country to do that to people,and no one does it to him.
thinking civil suit but wouldnt know where to start.i mean the add said good motor.
gonna put it on the boat and see if it pumps.

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear it wasn't fixed. Sounds like you are stuck with the motor, might as well get a manual and an impeller/water pump. They are pretty cheap and are part of routine maintenance. Good luck, I wouldn't run it without fixing the problem or you really will have a worthless motor.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need to submerge the lower unit up past the rubber mount covers. if it doesn't pump water then...

inspect the impeller to see if it's flexible, installed correctly, also inspect the water pump plate for dents and bends, and try again. if water still doesn't pump....

inspect the water tube to make sure it's seated at the water pump housing and exhaust housing. if water tube grommet is deformed or deteriotated, replace it. if it still won't pump....

inspect exhaust manifold and cylinder head, the "kid" may have made his own head gasket and missed a couple holes to punch, with the cylinder head off, inspect the cavities around the cylinder, there replacing all gaskets