Taking on water!

Eclipse223

Cadet
I have a 1987 Stratos 179v with a 115 merc. I have had it out about 4 times since i bought it a few weeks ago and have noticed it takes on water and not just a little the first time i was out i had to pul it to shore before i drowned my self and the boat because the B-Pump was not working. Now i have installed a new one and i am having to turn it on every hour or so just to be able to be on the lake. i have searched and searched where the water could be coming in from and i can not find any where i bought a new plug! only thing i can think of is the Aerators(sp) Any help would be great guys or if u need more info just let me know.

Thanks

Brien

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Taking on water!

While it is on the trailer in your back yard, fill it up with water and see where it comes out.

Alternatively, while out on the lake turn off the aerators and see if the leak stops.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you cant see by eye do as posted above, it could be the seal around the drain hole.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the prime area of unknown intrusion is from under the rub rail.

after the static dry land test. take sikka flex and run a bead between the hull and the cap joint, under the rub rail.....let it cure for 24 hrs....then re test on water

cheers
oops

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The capped drain (on the right) is the drain for the bilge. The screened port (on the left) is the pickup for the live well. From the amount of rust and poor condition, either one is likely your leak. As I said before, fill er up and see where it comes out.

Eclipse223

Cadet

i did fill it up that pic is with water coming out lol and it was coming out of the right one! the right one that is white is the live well when i have the live wells full and open them that is where the water comes out. on the other side is a rubber house and a clamp maybe the hose is bad or the clamp is nto tight enough.

Any ideas

Thanks

Brien

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So the drain for the live well is where the water comes from when you put water in the boat to find the leak?
If so it could be a few things:
1) the clamp for the hose is loose
2) the hose has a hole in it
3) the plastic outlet that goes through the hull is damaged

Considering the amount of rust that is see I would say the clamp is bad and possibly the plastic is broke from the clamp being over wrenched on. Change the clamp and when you do check the outlet for a crack. Let us know what you find

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Judging by the condition of the transom I suspect it is rotten. There appears to be a hole at the very bottom of the transom where it meets the stern. If the clean streak to the right is water, the transom is definitely leaking. If both of those observations are true, you have a boat that needs a new transom.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Judging by the condition of the transom I suspect it is rotten. There appears to be a hole at the very bottom of the transom where it meets the stern. If the clean streak to the right is water, the transom is definitely leaking. If both of those observations are true, you have a boat that needs a new transom.

I concur