25 HP 4 Stroke Carb Problems

tman554

Cadet
Hello-

I have a 2000, 4 stroke Suzuki, 25hp. Last year it was running fine in high speed, but mid-low speed it would bog down and surge.

I took apart and cleaned the carbs and re-built them with the official suzuki kit. Now, I can barely even get the motor to run. I can get it to run for about 5-10 seconds in high speed and it dies out.

One thing that is weird on these motors is that they tell you not to remove the main pilot jet and it is in there in such a way that it can not be removed. The carbs were a mess when I cleaned them and I am wondering about two things:
1. Did I lodge something loose when cleaning, and now I need to clean them again?
2. What if the main jet is dirty, how do I clean it if I can not remove it?

Any other obvious things I may have missed? I know the carbs should be synced, but I can not even run the motor long enough to do that.

One final thing. I hope I can explain this well. When I removed the fuel pump, there was a stainless steel cylinder (about 2 inches) that I had to remove from the engine block and the manual said to note its position. I did not get that, as there was no unique characteristics to it, so why did it matter?

tman554

Cadet
Re: 25 HP 4 Stroke Carb Problems

Anyone have ideas for me on this?

Much appreciated.

tman554

Cadet

nope, I have to keep it at full throttle to get it to run at all, and then just for a few seconds.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You will have to disassemble carbs completely to clean properly.
Did your manual say not to remove the jets or did some one just tell you that.
If you do not have a manual then get you one.
Environmental laws require protection from people playing with them and qualified mechanics are suppose to reinstall the tamper proof plugs after cleaning and adjusting.