Help with broken bolt in waterpump

jtw29

Cadet
I first want to say that I did alot of research on this forum alread on removing broken bolts and screws and have found alot of very helpful info. I deceded to post a question on this anyway because I am looking for some advice on my specific situation. This is a 1978 6hp Evinrude. Here's the problem: I have one broken screw in the bearing housing baseplate under the waterpump. The screw is broken flush with the top of the baseplate. No room for visegrips. I have two questions: Is there a way to get the baseplate off therefore exposing more of the bolt to get some vise grips on it? And if not, I will drill it out but my concern is for the drive shaft - It's in the way - I can't get a drill perfectly vertical above the broken screw. The repair manual I have explicity warns not to take out the drive shaft or I will have to rebuild the lower unit in order to re-align the pinion gear - or something like that. It's a bit unclear if this actually applies to my model. Anyone have any clarification on this?

Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with broken bolt in waterpump

Nuts and phooey. Pull the dad-gum shaft out. That stuff about not being able to get it back in is baloney.

You SHOULD be able to pry/rock the bearing housing out with a couple of screwdrivers. But the last guy I gave that advice to broke his bearing housing. So you are on your own. It is thin, so proceed with caution.

Drilling out those small stainless steel screws is an art learned only with a lot of practice. You will probably mess it up if you have never done it before. I have drilled out literally thousands of them and every one is a challenge.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yup the shaft goes right back in. Bearing plate would be next, take your time and do what F_R said. Those bearing plates are like peanut brittle, they have to raised up and out carefully as a 1/2 an inch of bearing plate goes down into the lower unit. If you pry up on one side you will break the plate. If you go at it by moving a bit of the plate up at a time from each side it will come out, the seal under it doesn't make matters better. Once you gain access to the pump screw soak it for a while to free it up.

jtw29

Cadet

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try and pull the baseplate. Is there a gasket under it or sealant? Would applying any heat to the plate help free up the seal? And lastly, what penetrant to you recommend? I have something called Blaster that the guys at the auto store recommended but I was wondering if there is something better.

Thanks!

G DANE

Commander

If you know a small machineshop in the neighbourhood, make them tigweld a stainless piece to the broken stud, it will turn right out when cooled down. Better than starting the drilling school. If that will be your choise, be sure to start with a very small diameter drill.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try and pull the baseplate. Is there a gasket under it or sealant? Would applying any heat to the plate help free up the seal? And lastly, what penetrant to you recommend? I have something called Blaster that the guys at the auto store recommended but I was wondering if there is something better.

Thanks!

PBBLASTER and yes there should be a gasket underneath.

jtw29

Cadet

Success! Thanks guys. I pried up the base-plate, soaked the screw in BPBlaster, heated it up and it came out without any argument.

Now I just need to wait for my mail-order gasket to put the plate back on.

Thanks!