30hp 1988 - Cylinder head replacement

jasper60103

Commander
Got myself a J30TELCCE (1988). The excitement quickly wore off though.
I stripped the top spark plug hole! Anyway after several days of kicking myself I decided to bite the bullet and replace the cylinder head. After I got the head off this evening I discovered how I stripped the spark plug hole. The compression tester adapter was too long and hit the top of the cylinder head as you can see in the pic. As a result, the threads on the adapter were buggered from striking the cylinder head. When I unscrewed the adapter, it ruined the threads on the spark plug hole.

So my first question is should I try to repair the ding on the top of the cylinder head or does it matter?

Also, I want to clean up the tops of the cylinder heads while I have it open. What should I use?

And does anyone know the torque spec for the cylinder head bolts?

Thanks,
jasper

SDC12394.jpg

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 30hp 1988 - Cylinder head replacement

You may be able to salvage head using a Heli-coil repair kit. If the piston has been damaged(gouged) try to get the rough edges off it. Too clean piston tops I would use engine tuner...although I hear good things about Sea foam.
Wayne

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

P.S. use gasket sealing compound on new head gasket even if gasket says do not use sealer.
Wayne

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's the piston, not the head and as long as it didn't go through the piston you should be ok. PM me your email address and i'll send you the torque diagram. Once you get it back together do a seafoam decarb to clean it up.

jasper60103

Commander

marinemech, bk:

oops, yes it's the piston head.
Thanks for the tip. No, fortunately it didn't punch through.

marinemech:
I looked at heli-coil repair kit. It would be cheaper, but I figured that would be best for someone more experienced than myself.
-jasper

torbjorn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got myself a J30TELCCE (1988). The excitement quickly wore off though.
I stripped the top spark plug hole! Anyway after several days of kicking myself I decided to bite the bullet and replace the cylinder head. After I got the head off this evening I discovered how I stripped the spark plug hole. The compression tester adapter was too long and hit the top of the cylinder head as you can see in the pic. As a result, the threads on the adapter were buggered from striking the cylinder head. When I unscrewed the adapter, it ruined the threads on the spark plug hole.

So my first question is should I try to repair the ding on the top of the cylinder head or does it matter?

Also, I want to clean up the tops of the cylinder heads while I have it open. What should I use?

And does anyone know the torque spec for the cylinder head bolts?

Thanks,
jasper

SDC12394.jpg

Heli-coiling is easy. Run the piston to tdc and scrape the carbon deposits off the crown. Smooth any sharp edges in the gouge flat with sandpaper, otherwise don't worry about the gouge. Also, carefully scrape the cylinder head and tops of cylinders free of any deposits. Be certain not to use any gasket sealing compound with the new head gasket, simply apply some axle or Triple Guard grease to both sides of the metal rings. That was the advice of OMC Service, and that advice is good. I've always used it, and have had no problem. Extremely important, you must also follow the advised pattern in torquing the bolts, and torque them down a little at a time, not all at once.

jasper60103

Commander

Update. I found a replacement cylinder head and need to refinish the gasket surface.

Anyone know where I can find No. 180 Emery cloth? Can I buy in hardware stores? I imagine I need a good size sheet to do the figure trick.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Go to a tile guy and see if he has a broken piece of MARBLE,wrap it with the emery.I use heavier,100 grit,if you can mount the head in a jig ir vise ,your best that way

jasper60103

Commander

I decided to repair my cylinder head. I did the save-a-thread repair on the bad spark plug hole and I cleaned-up my cylinder head and cover. Btw, the sand paper trick on a plane of glass works great for the cylinder head. Things are looking good. I bought a new tstat too.

One thing I noticed as I was getting ready to button things up is a hole is plugged on the head? Looks like it could be factory. Is this right? Feels like a piece of plastic...

SDC12444_2.jpg

SDC12445.jpg

cleaned-up the cylinder head and cover:
SDC12446.jpg

SDC12447.jpg

flathunter

Cadet

I did the same thing to mine. I got the helicoil done for $20 instead of buying a new one. Can anyone post up the torque spec and sequence? Thanks in advance....

jasper60103

Commander

Just wanted to follow up and say fixing the stripped spark plug hole with the
Save-a-thread repair kit was a success. Also, I flushed the cooling system while I had the head off. Installed a new head gasket, thermostat, head cover gasket. The motor is running great now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd5TOTrxFSs